Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Disadvantage of being from CT?

7K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  tommyt 
#1 ·
Is it even worth trying to raise honey bees if I am from Connecticut? I have heard of so many bees dying from the cold and harvests are less regular than they are of a climate down south.

What should I do?

It sounds like such a fun hobby and I have been doing lots of research on it but I am undecided. Please help.

#4 ·
No disadvantage to being from CT

There's nothing wrong with being from Connecticut... except that you are living in the COOLEST STATE in the UNION!!!! :D With maybe the possible exception of Maine, which is where I transplanted to (from CT).

I agree with oldenglish, check out your local beekeeping association

Lots of people in CT keep bees, so you should be able to as well. If you don't feel that you have room in your yard (central CT is pretty congested), you can always try to work out a deal with a nearby apple orchard. They would LOVE to have resident bees! Just be sure that they will tell you the day before they spray for bugs!

#7 ·
Yanks26,

You live less than an hour and a half away from me, and I have been successful with my bees over the years. If you would like, you could come take a look at my apiary, and I could send you home with a hive and bees. We could open up a hive or two so you can get past the initial fear of opening a hive.

I live in North Salem, NY. That's under 10 minutes west of Danbury, CT.

Send me a PM if you're interested. I'll see that sooner than a reply on this thread.

justgojumpit

#8 ·
YANKS26,
I think its worth keeping bees in CT. I have two hives two deeps each and two more packages on order. Im just a hobby beekeeper. The bees will find the pollen and nectar sources . I was surprized to see both of my hives started from packages in 4/08 fill one deep 10 frame super of honey each. As for 09 they started in early March bringing in pollen which was another surprize. So give beekeepng a try in CT. Good Luck

#9 ·
There are no disadvantages to keeping beehives in Connecticut. In May I am finishing my first year, I have had no problems execpt some varroa mites. I also got over 80 pounds of honey from 1 hive. I have 2 hives that made it thru winter no problem. I went into winter with 2.
Just go for it 1.5 acres is plenty of room. Welcome to BEESOURCE.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Hi Yanks,

Welcome to Beesource.

People keep bees everywhere in the planet, even in Alaska.
There are few hundred beekeepers in CT with few thousand hives.
There are winter loses but there are a lot of new hives started each year.
From what I know our average honey harvest is above the one from our southern beekeepers.
Some friends of mine have hives just few miles north of you in Simsbury and Granby. they have 6 hive each and lost only one this year.
I keep bees less than 15 miles south of you in Bristol and we all are doing fine.

Keeping bees is your decision to make but if you make it you should not have a problem keeping bees in CT.

My best Gilman

#12 ·
Go for it. I started 3 years ago with 3 hives, 8 last year and 20 this year. There is lots to learn so you'll have somthing to do in the misery of winter. I have more honey than I know what to do with. You'll do fine. This is a great site with lots of answers. There is still time for you to get equipment and a nuc. Might be hard to find a package by the time you get everything and painted. Goodluck

#16 ·
Yanks, try it, you will like it! As long as you take care of your bees in the fall and prepare them for winter they will do fine. There are several bee keepers in my area - a few commercial and I dont know anyone that has quit yet. If anything they have continued to add hives.

My best advise is to join a bee club or pair up with someone who has done this before.

#17 ·
Backyardbeekeepers.com is a Ct website. It belongs to my club one of the largest (Hobby) clubs around. One of our members is keeping a hive in a chicken coop near you. (Bears, you know) Our 400 members would tell you that all the bees don't die in the winter but some do. You can't be a sloppy beek.

dickm

#18 ·
I just went to a meeting and talked to some people and found someone who was happy to show me his hives and let me check things out. THe ct beekpers association is having another meeting in June, I'm not sure when the back yard beekeepers next meeting is as they seemed to be on weeknights when I coldn't make it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.