Default 1st time up mating nucs

I have the mini mating nucs from brushy mountain. They came with the black plastic foundation installed in them. I tried putting them in a hive to get them to draw it out,(to give them a head start) before setting up the nucs, but the bees refuse to draw it out, I even tried spraying with sugar water. (they did build some burr comb out from it, but did nothing to the foundation) If I put the bees in the nucs without the foundation being drawn....will it force them to draw it out? Or would it be better to replace the black plastic foundation with wax foundation?

The problem may be the strength of your Hive. Did you put them on top of the brood or just on top of honey suppers?
    If there is no nectar coming you may need to feed.

Gilman

it was on top of the brood, and we also had a feeder on the hive

pulling foundation usually requires either a flow on th continuous application of a dribble of syrup... or both. might I ask how long you placed these on the hive and was the hive in question fully brooded up and booming?

cup full of bees, feeder of light syrup, and queen cell on foundation (or simply starter strip) is all that is needed. Confine them for a day or two then open at dusk. They will pull it out.

do I need to worry about having any brood in the box? Or will they be ok without it? The book I am going by: Successful Queen Rearing Short course (Dolittle method) is saying they need brood in the box but the only way we would be able to do that is to cut it out of frames and put it in these little frames, and I would much rather not....
    Thanks!

Default do I need to worry about having any brood in the box?

Follow Bob 's advice. It's sound!
    Ernie
    Queen Breeder
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Thanks Ernie, and Bob, thats how I will proceed. I really do appreciate all the advice and help I have received on this, from everyone. I have 6 capped cells and I will be transferring them the end of the week, so wish me luck!