Thread: Recycling

Thumbs Up Recycling

When I was finally able to get into my hives, they had all kinds of brood inbetween the boxes. I hate cleaning it off as it is a mess. There was quite a bit of wax and I didn't want to waste it, but didn't know how to get rid of all the brood. I put it in a bucket of water. I left it by my bird feeders and kept noticing a tufted titmouse looking in the bucket. So I drained the water off and put the comb in a shallow pan. Viola! The next day, all the brood was gone. Nothing left but wax! The birds liked the brood and I like the clean wax!!
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

I notice that some very small birds (finches? wrens?) come around the hives and feed off the dead and dying bees on the ground.
    De Colores,
    Ken

On another note - I thought that was so cool, I tried it again. Oops, forgot about the raccoons and left it out over night. Wasn't much left in the morning.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Quote Originally Posted by Parke County Queen View Post
    I left it by my bird feeders and kept noticing a tufted titmouse... The birds liked the brood and I like the clean wax!!
    There a picture in the April Bee Culture of a titmouse (I think) eating from burr comb. It's an article about varroa control.

Tufted titmice love that stuff. I had a big hornet's nest in a tree one year - one of the stereotypical gray spherical ones. In the late fall, after the hornets were gone, those tiny sweet birds tore that nest to shreds to get at the leftover larvae.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau