Thread: router

Default router

I'm looking for a good lused router. I'd like to start making my own boxes. Not to save money, but just to point at and say " I made those " I'd be shipping to CT so I'm not sure how much that would cost, but it does affect the price I'll pay

Michael
    Michael

Michael, what you need is a table saw with a dado blade, not a router. I tried with the router and the results look like crap! The quality is much better if using a dado blade to do the box joints and the rabbets. PS. your location says Saratoga, but you say you are shipping to CT. Where are you from? I may be able to lend you some equipment in return for some hive bodies. I live in North Salem, NY.

justgojumpit

Default New location

JGJ I moved to CT this past winter and haven't found out how to change my profile on this page. Thanks for the advice on the router. I'll go take a look on the web and see how that works.
    Michael

go into user CP top left edit your details.

Beorn,

Where in CT? I live about 10 miles west of Danbury. We might be neighbors!

justgojumpit

I'm now in Andover. It's about 30 minutes east of Hartford. I worked in Southbury a few years ago
    Michael

That's about an hour and a half to an hour and fourty-five minutes from me.

justgojumpit

Default Probably

Probably too late for me to jump on the bandwagon, but if you have a table saw you can cut the rabbets with it, you can even do it without a dado blade if you move the fence slightly more than the width of the blade repeatedly until the required width is reached. this is time consuming, but it saves from blade changes. I find that it take me too much time so I use a router. I'm in the process of building a table for my router so I can have a more accurate setup.
    With a good adjustable pilot bearing rabbet bit you can achieve nicer results than most dado blades. But you have to use a good bench and a secondary support for the overhanging side of the router.

Default table saw!

I would get a table and set it up for just a dado it makes your life a whole lot easier and you will be amazed at the quality of product you will have. I wouldn't go with less than a Delta 1.5 horse power though.

Even if you get one of the cheep table top table saw with a 10" blade. $100.00 or so You would be far ahead.
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

you can cut the rabbets without a dado blade in two cuts. Make one cut, then stand the board on end and make the other. You will end up with a rectangular piece of wood as scrap. I do prefer the dado blade, though, when making multiple rabbets.

justgojumpit