Default Polling beesource posters & lurkers: What's most number of stings you've had

...during one visit to your bee yard (apiary, for you City Folk)?

I think I've at most been stung maybe 10 times (bare-skinned) in one visit. I started to get a buzz, feeling a little woozy, like you feel when you've pinched too much snuff, and decided I better walk away for the day.

Now, I'm not talking about stings through a suit, no SIR! I'm talking hardcore, bare skin STINGS.

I've been stung through my suit up to 50 times before, didn't faze me a bit.

Your turn!
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

How many stings eh? Well the day I went to see my bees and discovered them vandalized, and hive boxes all over the ground.... I panicked. I ran to my little darlings, not even taking the time to gear up.
    Well needless to say as soon as the bees sensed me they must have thought "the vandal is back" so they attacked me. I was covered in bees in seconds. I couldn`t swat my hands fast enough. So I ran to the car slapping at my head, neck and hands furiously and... as ole Murphy would have it, before I could get into the car I slipped and gashed open my forehead. So now I was bleeding like a madman with hundreds of bees around me. I managed to open the car door and dove inside. About 20 or 30 girls followed me in and continued their attack. Man what a sight it must have been... There I was slapping at my legs then my head then my neck, then wipe up some blood off my face with my shirt and start slapping again.

I ended up having to go to the emergency. In all I think I might have got stung 20 times. But these were light stings only. I never got any venom reaction but I did get 6 stiches over my left eye brow!

Lesson learned? You bet... GEAR-UP. You never know when ole Murphy will pay you a visit. But like his saying goes... "if it can go wrong, it will. At the worst possible time!"

Luc
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you`ll be among the stars!

Quote Originally Posted by MichelinMan View Post
    How many stings eh? Well the day I went to see my bees and discovered them vandalized, and hive boxes all over the ground.... I panicked. I ran to my little darlings, not even taking the time to gear up.
    Well needless to say as soon as the bees sensed me they must have thought "the vandal is back" so they attacked me. I was covered in bees in seconds. I couldn`t swat my hands fast enough. So I ran to the car slapping at my head, neck and hands furiously and... as ole Murphy would have it, before I could get into the car I slipped and gashed open my forehead. So now I was bleeding like a madman with hundreds of bees around me. I managed to open the car door and dove inside. About 20 or 30 girls followed me in and continued their attack. Man what a sight it must have been... There I was slapping at my legs then my head then my neck, then wipe up some blood off my face with my shirt and start slapping again.

I ended up having to go to the emergency. In all I think I might have got stung 20 times. But these were light stings only. I never got any venom reaction but I did get 6 stiches over my left eye brow!

Lesson learned? You bet... GEAR-UP. You never know when ole Murphy will pay you a visit. But like his saying goes... "if it can go wrong, it will. At the worst possible time!"

Luc
    That's a rough one - the most I've ever been stung on bare skin in one visit to the bee-yard?- 6 or so - that sure seemed like enough - most of them hit me on the underside of my right arm - just a couple inches from the armpit - swelled up quite a bit - I should've measured my bicep then something to show the kids someday.

ps. - who the heck is ole Murphy? Is that a Canadian thing? Like Mayo on your burgers?
    Last edited by Jesse; 04-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional

Thirteen. It was a late evening visit after a long day painting the house and drinking beer (at least one too many). Decided to pull a frame and dropped it. They really didn't get me when I dropped it, they got me trying to put it back in the box. Won't do that again...at least I don't think I will!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Default Murphies Law

http://www.murphys-laws.com/

Should have one for beekeeping

As a newbie I had a buckfast hive swarm and land in a spruce tree in our yard, 15-20 feet up. Donned my helmet/veil and climbed lickety split up the tree to retrieve them. About the time I was trying to manuver the box and not actually hanging and I shook the branch they were in I lost balance. My veil got caught on a branch above me and was pulled backwards while I was dropping the box and grabbing for a hold. I could not loose the veil from the branch and had to take if off in order to escape the stings I was now taking through my flannel shirt and jeans. I was out of the tree in under a minute but that was about 59 seconds too late. I don't know how many stings I took on the torso and legs. My wife, having watched this spectacle, chuckled as she scraped 63 stingers from my head. I felt kind of strange for a couple of hours afterward, not any major swelling, just like coming down from a hard adrenaline rush.

We've has some pretty bad times loading bees on the trailer in the dark in the rain, I'm sure there's times I've taken 100, but we never stop to count. In those situations the rascals just crawl all over you until they find a breech or an open pant leg and by ones and twos continously sting you.

I think the time I got stung the most at one time was one of two occassions.

I was moving a pallet of beehives, not strapped and the tractor tire hit a bump and the hives tumbled over. I'd say I got around 30 stings before I got my suit and veil on.

Another time, I was helping my mentor check thru hives in his yard. I got to the last one, they were kinda grouchy. They figured out that instead of crawling up ( like bees are supposed to do right?) they crawled down into my boots and started stinging me around my ankles (I had pant legs stuffed into boots). I walked back to truck and removed boots and cleared out the bees, and put the boots back on with pants tucked in again and wouldn't you know it, they did it again! Needless to say I repeated the process of emptying bees out of boots, but this time I put pant legs outside boots and tied string around them I'd say I got over 20 stings that time.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Lets say on an average day you look at 50 hives of bees, and on a bad day, you get stung 3 times per hive. That would be unusual. More usual is one sting per hive. I believe that is rough agreement with Joel?

More important than how many stings, is how long the stinger is left in. 100 stings removed promptly is better than 10 stings left in for full effect.

Roland

I got stung 6 or 7 times once in a matter of seconds. This hive was mean and I always got stung by this hive a few times and they were in attack mode. I decided one time to try not wearing gloves. Within seconds of my hands touching the frames I got hit 6-7 times. That was the last time I did not wear gloves.