Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tax break

The number would differ depending on what county and state you live in. I had a landowner contact me a few year ago who wanted me to move some hives onto their property for agriculture tax breaks. This landowner had contacted the county office and was told they needed at least four hive on the property.

For all you New Jersey beeks, here's what "Joisey" requires...(maybe, if we keep this thread alive, we'll get all 50 states )

Default Re: Property taxes

Exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!

I live in the Texas Hill Country and I have 18 ac, which is within the window of 5-20 ac Texas requires for agricultural use with honeybees. I am in my 3rd year and have the documentation. I have been in touch with the county appraiser and the Texas Appiary Inspector. I currently have 12 hives. There is no question of whether i will qualify or not. The question is "degree of intensity". I can't seem to find any information on those who have successfully obtained their exemption.

In our county, the appraiser has said you need 6 hives up to 10 acres and one hive per half acre after that. I think a hive per half acre is a bit too much, but at least you have a guide.

Default Re: Property tax agricultural exemption for bees

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weitzel View Post
    Tom, I can agree 100% with your sentiment. But on the other hand, when the Central Appraisal District uses every gimmick they can to over access our properties (I have yet to reside in a county in Texas where it does not occur), I can't be too critical of those who have found a loophole to counteract them. It used to be that you could successfully contest them, but anymore they seem to have too much influence on the arbitrators and it is rare for them to vote against the county.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeeMan View Post
    >>>who pays my FAIR SHARE of taxes to support public services

I agree, I didn't write the rules that I'm forced tonplay by. I am responsible for the rules even if I don't know or understand they exist. Example the government values homeownership. They allow you to deduct the interest. This is available wehther the house is a 40000 trailer or a million dollar house. Agriculture takes so many forms and politics entered into the farm bill each year. In Kentucky most smallnfarmers are land rich and cash poor.if you western beeks come to Kentucky I think you will be impressed how green we are. Most transplants to Kentucky say we look like a green park.

But all politics is local. If you don't like the tax structure work to changes it. In Kentucky our tax structure is not high but they tax EVERYTHING.
    If one is entitled to take an exemption, I would not consider that as taking an unfair advantage. A fair share is paying what is due , no more nor less.
    I posted in the middle of the quote. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    Looking forward to getting more info to beef up my submission
    In bc it's pretty simple to get the ag class taxes. If you have less than 2 acres, show $10,000 in receipts for produced product. From 2 to 10 acres, show $2500 in receipts. Above 10 acres, it becomes a percentage of the assessed value.

Bees and honey both qualify.

Wife got a new job, so we will be moving up island in a few weeks. When we buy up there, we are seriously looking at getting a plot between 2 and 10 acres. With a dozen hives it wont be hard to do $2500 a year in sales, which will put us over the threshold.

Thank you for that info. We have 2.5 acres in Vancouver and are in the process of developing hives. We will have 5 this year and plan to add another 5 next year. We have an outlet arranged for the sale of any honey we harvest from our hives.

If things go well we would like to work at developing skills to create nucs and raise queens so we can help get hives into backyards

If you are in Vancouver proper, zoning may come into play and be a problem. If your 2.5 acres is in the ALR, it's real easy. In our case, we are currently on .25 acres zoned R3, which does not permit agriculture, so we couldn't apply for the exemption even if we had the $10K in honey sales. Interestingly tho, we contacted the city before getting bees, and none of the bylaws prevent having them. From the city perspective, bees are not an 'agricultural animal'. They have a very specific list of animals not permitted in residential zoning areas. Bees are not on that list, and, are not animals, they are insects. But, on the website for the assessment folks, apiculture is right there at the top of the list for qualifying endeavors.

Here is a link with the relavent information.

http://www.bcassessment.ca/public/Fa...rm%20Land.aspx

We are right in Vancouver proper but our lot is is zoned RA1 and is included in the ALR...the info you have gathered is good news to me

Nature Coast, thanks for that briefing. That was illuminating. For two reasons, both because I learned a few things - and because I appreciate now how different each state's requirements are.

Do you have, or do you know how to get a copy of the briefing charts themselves? The audio is very hard to follow.

I would like to send the briefing charts to my county assessor.

I think it is interesting that tax assessors have standards for how many cows per acre and how many chickens per acre, but they don't have a standard for bees. We beeks need to band together and help to establish some standards.

In fact, in the breifing he talks about class of soil from A=best to E=worst. The tax assessor recognizes that in poor soil types, the number of cows the land can support on an acre is less than on good soil. Same thing applies to bees.

We beeks know that you can't put 100 hives on 5 acres. Even the richest land can't support that many. Likewise we know that 2 hives on 25 acres is not enough either. We need to establish some ballpark numbers and then go gather some real data to support our numbers.

Once we have that data we can take our case to the tax assessors and help them to establish some standards for beekeeping AG exemptions.
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    in Mass. you needed 5 acres and $500 gross income, pretty reasonable,
    mike
    They exclude the house lot from the 5 acres here in MA. Some towns have 1 acre lot minimum so you need 6 acres. Believe it's referred to as 61B ag exemption. Well worth it.

Texas is similar to MA. My house and barn are on one acre and excluded from the Ag Exempt range land. My barn, Tractor barn and living quarters inside the barn are taxed at normal rates. It's only the grazing acres that are ag exempt. Ag exemption is a huge benefit in Texas.

With cattle etc they are usually restricted to a certain grazing area...hence the density guidelines. With bees someone can can have a small plot for their hives but the bees can range unrestricted for miles. I guess for guidelines they would have to assess the forage potential within the bee fly radius. Also it seems some supplement feed as not all are keeping them for honey (some raise them for sale like stock and others rent them out much of the year). Unlike most livestock it seems if bees feel that their living circumstances are inadequate they simply up and leave to better places

Hi, Bee Wrangler here. I just found out that the land we are going to buy will qualify for Ag exemption even though it is only 5 acres. There is a house on it, but we have Homestead in another county so they will not disallow for this structure. They did tell me we have to have one hive per acre and that it would be 5 years before we would be able to qualify for Ag exempt. The good thing is as soon as we purchase the land we can apply and
    the time starts counting down even while we are prepping the land.

We now have farm status on our land. Apiculture was an accepted farm product...honey, bees, wax, propolis, pollen etc. We have 15 hives...if all survive the winter which is not likely For us the requirement was , enough land with an approved farm plan and enough income from the products to maintain the farm status (based on sales not net). I started the hives last spring, applied in August and will see my first tax relief this year. I have to pay the first tax instalment in full (it is half of last years) and then I should see a reduction by the second instalment in July.
    Where I am the farm status area of ones property only applies to the part of the property actually being "farmed". The assessed property value of farm land is less than residential or commercial; the taxes are based on overall assessed value...here's hoping the significant reduction in assessed value will be reflected in my second tax instalment come July 2014.

Good luck with your endeavours..both bee and farm
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

good thread. because of it i checked into this and found out that we qualify as well. thanks beesource!
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Does anyone know the requirements for Oklahoma. I only have five colonies currently and I'm on two acres

I just got an exemption on my property taxes for my bees. Troy in Florida each county sets their own guidelines. Here is a link to the application for Duval County, Bee yards is clearly listed. http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/propert...nt/dr482_f.pdf

I had to turn in a plot plan and a business plan with my application. I only got the exemption for 1 1/2 acres not my whole parcel of land but, every little bit helps. When I first gave the property appraisers office a call they where not sure I qualified but, after they came out and looked at the honey house and the hives and the revenue for the past three years my application was approved. They said I was only the second person to apply for the exemption for bees.

The cost of inner city hoodlums is nothing compared to the corporate wellfare that our country provides. Taxes lost on the $3 trillion safe in banks offshore. Hoodlums are not the problem!