Default Help with adding a super or not?

I am a First year beek and I am looking for some help. I enjoy reading this forum and have read and learned alot. All you experienced beeks out there keep the good stuff coming.

I am located in PA and right now I have only 1 hive I started in late May from a package so I have difficulty in doing a comparison. I have a full deep that is entirely drawn and has brood of all stages. When the deep was completely drawn I added a med super and as of my inspection last week all but the end two frames were drawn and they were working on the them. The queen has been using the Deep and three to four middle frames for brood and the rest were full on nectar and honey. I have noticed alot more activity and more bees hanging outside the entrance in last 2 weeks.

My question is should I add another super on top? From my research alot say not to expect honey the first year so I was not expecting to add another super, but if the hive gets to full and they don't have enough room there is a chance for swarming although I did not see and queen cups last week. I know here in Pa we have a good flow this time of year with weeds and goldenrod which I think is just starting. I also don't want the bees to work the 2nd super and ignore the others that they don't survive the winter.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Default Re: Help with adding a super or not?

I think you need to decide (or even better, find out from a local beekeeper), what the normal overwintering arrangement is in your area: is it two deeps or 1 deep and a medium or 2 mediums, etc?

Default Re: Help with adding a super or not?

Quote Originally Posted by suburbanrancher View Post
    I think you need to decide (or even better, find out from a local beekeeper), what the normal overwintering arrangement is in your area: is it two deeps or 1 deep and a medium or 2 mediums, etc?
    The local beekeeper that I purchased the start up supplies from advised me that I would need 1 deep and 1 med to overwinter.