Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Customer concern

I had a customer yesterday at the local farmers market psuedo complain after buying a 2 lbs jar of honey. Her psuedo complaint is how I am running my business of selling honey at the farmers market. She has a different opinion of how I should run my business at the farmers market, and if I would just be open minded about her thuoghts I certainly could vastly improve my business and make much more money than I currently make selling honey at the farmers market.

I listened to her rant and abrupt rudeness for about 5 minutes before telling her I would be happy to explore her ideas but the farmers market is NOT the forum for such discussions. She continued to rant for a few more minutes and I thanked her for her purchase.

I certainly didn't want to drive her away and in the most tactful, polite fashion told her it's my business I will run it as I see fit. Other thoughts were coming to mind, but none where productive thoughts.

Who out there has had to deal with difficult customers who really are customers?

Default Re: Customer concern

Never had anything like that happen. Have had people tell me how to sell more honey, but not like what your experience seems like.

It seems like you tried to handle things as best you could under the circumstances. Some people can just be unreasonable.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I completely understand her gripe. I started this market because a long time fellow beekeeper decided he wasn't going to do the markets anymore. I suspect he is just looking to slow down and ease into a retirement. So as beekeepers we all run things similarly, however we also do things differently and this particular lady really enjoyed the way the other beekeeper did stuff. I very politely explained to her that I am not the other beekeeper, that I did not buy out the other beekeeper and this is how I run my business. My son listened with amazement to the conversation. Later he said he was very happy I was there to handle that customer because he would have been unsure of how to handle it, except to say he doesn't own the business nor make the decisions for the business.

Certainly you can do as you see fit but you did not mention one word of her "ranting" as to what she would have you do differently. That makes it hard for me to through her under the bus. It also gives me the feeling you weren't listening at all.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    My son listened with amazement to the conversation. Later he said he was very happy I was there to handle that customer because he would have been unsure of how to handle it, except to say he doesn't own the business nor make the decisions for the business.
    By your Son's assessment you must have handled this as best you could and as best as anyone could. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    That makes it hard for me to through her under the bus. It also gives me the feeling you weren't listening at all.
    How strange that I would disagree w/ you about this.

BMAC was not coming here to throw anyone under the bus. He stated that he did listen to her and responded that the market was not the right time or place for this discussion. Which tells me, and should have told the customer, that he was interested in what she had to say, just not in that venue.

Man ...

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Certainly you can do as you see fit but you did not mention one word of her "ranting" as to what she would have you do differently. That makes it hard for me to through her under the bus. It also gives me the feeling you weren't listening at all.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I willfully omitted her concern/gripe. I wasn't much posting this for help or resolution of the situation, as I am experienced enough and quite capable of handling any resolution if a resolution is needed. Thanks for posting though.

I deal with people a lot, and run across the few that "well you should do it this way", most couldn't find their butt with both hands tied behind their backs doing what I do.
    Most of the time I recite the quote I learned long ago mentally and move on.
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Those who can't teach, become Engineers.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

It sounds like you did a bang up job with this customer. Yes I have some difficult customers at times and pray for the patience it seems you displayed when it occurs. BMAC some people are hell bent on crossing lines, and she telling you how to run your business is crossing a line. If it keeps up she is probably not a customer worth dealing with. (Although I've had them come back like sheep after their initial muscle flex).

"I certainly didn't want to drive her away and in the most tactful, polite fashion told her it's my business I will run it as I see fit."
    The above is the best way to handle this problem IMO.
    good job.

Yes it would have been easier to have been rude back, but she is a customer and I would like to keep her as a customer. That's kind of funny tho.

And you were out in public where who knows who was watching. Besides yourself. You have to live up to your own standards, not anyone else's.

I hate to have to tell you this, but I agree with the lady at the Farmers Market. You are doing it ALL WRONG! I've lost sleep over this and if you would just try all of the things she said, everything would be so much better!

A man sold me 2000 rounds of ammunition, every round produced by hand. I mentioned that it would probably be faster, and easier, if he bought an automated reloading machine. His response "I'm happy doing it this way. I can do it at my pace, I pay attention to the details, and it makes it fun - it's my hobby, of sorts."
    Who was I to argue with someone that was happy with what he does to make money?!
    There are so many people that hate what they do.

I have owned a business for 20 years. I have one motto - "I don't do business that don't make me smile." (It's a song lyric) and it has suited me well for two decades. It's my business and I run it in the way that makes me happiest.

You did well.

Clyde, Jack. Thanks. I appreciate the wisdom.

Mark you are correct. I have heard from folks losing business because of their mouths. Not because they sold an inferior product or were the most expensive around, but because of their attitude and mouth. I know for a fact this particular couple is no longer in business as I watched their business go from booming to bankrupt. Their attitude and what they freely expressed in public no doubt helped sink their business.

Set aside customer service, I can't imagine being quite that rude to anyone.

In the Army, we used to say a bi****hin troop is a happy troop. But I too am amazed at the unsolicited advice I get from people who not only know nothing about bees, they know nothing about business yet feel compelled to tell me how I could do mine better.

The customer is always right.

Except when they're teaching you how to run your business.

I always chuckle when people that tell me I'd sell more honey if I priced it cheaper.
    How hard do they think I want to work?

Hard to know how to comment since we don't know what the customer said.

Obviously, a business owner is free to run his business however he wants. But also, a good business owner listens to his customers. Plus, sometimes good advice hurts.

I have watched more than one business suffer (shrink, stagnate, unneccessarily grow slowly) while the owner ignored his customer's legitimate complaints "because its not their business."

Did this customer's comments have merit?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Shinbone thats a great question. I do listen carefully to what customers have to say and more importantly watch closely to what is purchased. As with everything change is inevitable. Either we can grab that ball and run with it, or we can just ignore the ball that comes in our direction.

The customer's comment doesn't really have merit. It truly isnt the voice of our customers in general. It's simply a person who must feel a more personal connection with the previous beekeeper. Which we understand those customers are there. We have built customer relationships and have customers that feel a personal connection with us. What we did when we started this market is have similarities as the previous beekeeper to help those who have a personal connection with the previous beekeeper transition over to us and our products. Obviously we dont want to look and feel exactly like the previous beekeeper, we have however went above and beyond normal customer service just for these folks already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    I always chuckle when people that tell me I'd sell more honey if I priced it cheaper.
    How hard do they think I want to work?
    We don't hear that we should be priced cheaper. Not even from our EBT customers.