Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bees going for cattle feed

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  dcross 
#1 ·
Our neighbor who lives half a mile away feeds his cattle ground-up grain which has molasses added to it. His grain bin is not "bee-tight" so apparently the bees have located the molasses and whenever he opens the feed bin, it has alot of bees in it. His son is afraid of bees. We have given the neighbors bottles of honey, but they are still concerned about all the bees that meet them when they open the grain bin door. Any suggestions? This problem will probably end when a good nectar flow starts, but meanwhile what can we do to keep peace in the neighborhood?

#2 ·
Educate your neighbors,the bees mean them no harm as long as they don't mash one,get one in their hair or swat at them. Also they may not all be your bees. My neighbor said my bees get in his feed buckets (grain) when he fills them from his grain ben, i told him they mean him no harm. He now likes to watch them pack it on their legs,now that he knows they don't want to sting him. (he was afraid of bees also) Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.