Thread: pallets

Default pallets

when running hives on pallets do u drill drain holes in the bottom? its not always possible to level hives in a 2 way or 4 way set-up. what do you large operators do? just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel bee View Post
    when running hives on pallets do u drill drain holes in the bottom? its not always possible to level hives in a 2 way or 4 way set-up. what do you large operators do? just wondering.
    I have drain holes in some of them but most of the time I don't get to worried about the water. The only time the hives are in one place for very long is in Michigan. I try to make sure the pallets are level there. My father carries a shovel around when he's moving bees and makes little piles or small holes to make sure the're level.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

A beekeeper I worked for had the same problem and we ended up taking the cordless drill and drilling 2 - 3/4 holes in the back corners. They will still get plugged by debris or propolis but when we clean the bottoms in early spring, we would use a poker stick to unplug the hole.

That same beek I was working for had a set of pallets made up with a 1/4 inch gap between the boards. Those also would get plugged sometimes but we would us our hive tool and run it through the gap to unplug it. For the most part, those were probably the driest and cleanest pallets.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I have some screened bottem pallets for sale that don't have that problem. I just end up stabbing my forks through the screen.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless