Quote Originally Posted by beyondthesidewalks View Post
If this is true than Texas is still in a transient status. I catch feral bees in my area that are definitely not AHB. I also catch bees that are black and of German descent but much more agressive. I think that many of these are confused with AHB. I've also caught a few hot bees but I managed them and they're not hot anymore.

Is there any indication of how long this "transient" status will last?

I admit that I'm not sure I buy it. I'm very skeptical of any AHB sensationalism. I'm not in denial. I live in a county that our government says has been taken over by AHB yet I still keep bees and I'm not experiencing anything like people are describing as AHB.

I may be wrong but I think that AHB can and will be managed.

My biggest fear (bigger than AHB!) is that the government will declare that all honeybees in our "confirmed" AHB counties will have to be destroyed. That would be a shame but I can imagine, especially, our current regime trying to push something like that on us.
First: Texas is a very large state, having the southern most point in the continental U.S. save for Florida Keyes, Areas further west than Denver and as far East as Des Moines Iowa, and within 40 miles of Kansas border.

The demarcation line for AHb runs through Houston, Austin, and San Antonio (this should not change). During the summer Ahb are capable of migrating 300+ miles, north of this line, but during normal winters these bees would die out because they don't cluster and therefore can't survive the winters. You are about as far north as we are, and we are not on the list for Ahb. So that being said, although you may have incidences of AHB, I doubt that they would ever become established to move from the transient status; thereby eventually destroying ehb influence. Also your area; although remote and rural, has much commercial beekeeping (or at least used to).
Another consideration in this study is that AHB are not able to spread in areas which have 50+ inches of rain per year which is spread equally throughout the year. This is the case for our area but not for areas which only receive monsoonial rains. This is why AHB have not become established in our, or areas east of us.

Second: Logically speaking the length of transient status would vary due to environmental conditions as previously mentioned. I wouldn't think that it would ever end in your area.

Third: I doubt that your area has been taken over but rather has had an incident where ahb have been confirmed. This could be because of migration followed by mild winters or migration other than natural swarming, such as hitching rides on trucks, autos, trains, etc.

Fourth: I have had one purchased colony (from location south of me) which was Africanized. When you have it you know it. There is no comparison to the aggression. My gloves were covered (solid black with bees), and so was my veil. There has been some sensationalism in the movies but don't doubt the dangers. Also, they will never be tolerated here in the USA because of liability from a legal standpoint. Just isn't going to happen.

Fifth: Yep, me to for control purposes.

Familiar with your area, spent from 1963 through about 1971 in Bellmead and currently have a brother in the boonies outside of Leroy/Mt. Calm area