Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

orchardviewmox

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  standman 
#1 ·
Hi from McMinnville, Oregon. I'm just starting, my brother gave me several uninhabitated hives and most ofthe equipment I'll need. 2 years ago I cut
down a tree on a very cold Feb. day and the hive that I didn't know was
inside didn't survive. I'd like to do my part to make up for their loss. We have
vineyards and farms around us, and I know their presence is needed.

#5 ·
They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, which are really only tendencies that vary in degree even within the types. I would recommend you find a local beek who can tell you what works well in your area. Most beeks learn pretty quickly that we all live in "micro-climates", which means that bloom dates and nectar flows will vary greatly, even within a few miles. But someone from your area who has kept bees for several years should be able to give you the best advice. I think Beekeeping for Dummies has a breakdown on the most popular "breeds". If I can find the info, I will drop it to you. Again, welcome to the site. And for the record, I have Italians.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.