Thread: Hello from Utah

Hybrid View

Default Hello from Utah

Intro to me
    Last year I inherited a package and starter kit from my brother (who, by the way, has moved back into the state and will be collecting his hive and taking it to northern Utah with him). This was my introduction to beekeeping! I learned a lot and didn't kill the colony all summer or over winter. In fact, they look pretty darn good, if I do say so. My daughter (age 12) has been the primary beekeeper in the family and LOVES it, so she's getting a new package in a couple of weeks (weather permitting).

Today's question

I just inherited a couple of really stressed hives. It's my second year of beekeeping, so I'm really new at this. These are the 2 surviving hives out of 10 that were really bungled by a neighbor over winter.

They smell a bit sour -- not a good sign -- I'm thinking I should rehive the bees with new frames and boxes (the colonies will be a year old in May, but the hives and comb are old and nasty looking). I ordered some fumagilin-b to feed them. Will these steps be helpful?

Also, is drumming really the best "quick" way to rehive in this case?

Welcome and enjoy browsing.

The best idea is to post your questions in "Beekeeping 101"
    or the like. You'll get faster responses as more folks access
    and see them there.

Glad to have you aboard!!

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll repost in Beekeeping 101.

Default Wellcome

glad to have you!!!

If you wate until may and then make sure the queen is laying. then i would pick her out and move the nest.

the girls will move with her and start all over.
    make sure you have a good hive to move her in and adding brood frames would not hurt to help her build.

good luck

Default Thanks

Thanks. This forum is great already! I posted this in beekeeping 101 as well, and have had a couple of replies.

I actually opened the hives yesterday (finally temps above 50 F, but only for a few hours), and it seems one of them clearly stinks more than the other. It has fewer bees, as well.

I'm picking up some hive parts today and will get them built asap for transfer. Maybe they're not as bad off as I originally thought.

(I learned with my brother's Carniolans, bees are tougher than they seem.)