Hybrid View

Default Ammonium Nitrate

I was looking through an older (early '70's) bee book. It suggested using 1/2 teaspoon of ammonium nitrate in a well lit, hot smoker to knock out a hot colony. The burning ammonium nitrate produces nitrous oxide & knocks out the colony for a while.

Have you heard of this? Does it work without killing too many bees?.

We usually just requeen a mean colony. That usually fixes the problem without too much loss of bees.

Did that, decades ago - knocks them out, for sure. They fall from the combs and create a pile of unconscious bees on the bottom of the hive. They are at risk of overheating and suffocating. They are entirely non-defensive, and don't recover completely for ten or twenty minutes, sometimes longer. It would be difficult to locate the queen until the bees recover and once more spread out over the combs.

Perhaps a box with screened bottom and sides could be placed beneath a hive and Ammonium nitrate (NO2) used to remove the bees from their combs, the screen may help prevent them from overheating and/or suffocating. Then they could be re-introduced to their combs by passing them through a queen excluder to locate the queen.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Did that, decades ago
    Me too. The bees we started with were so mean and so runny it was the only way to find the old queen. Worked great. We would spread a sheet in front of the hives, shake and brush the unconscious bees onto the sheet, and run them back in through an excluder. No more dead bees than when using a blower to pull honey.

Default Nitrate

Can't buy straight nitrate here any more (fed law) since the Okla. bombing. I tried to buy 11/2 ton to spread on pasture but they wouldn't sell it without mixing something with it (potash). It does work but i always wondered if it was harmful to me. Jack

You can order small quantities (0.5 to 2 kg) of ammonium nitrate online through laboratory chemical suppliers:

http://www.alfa.com/alf/laboratory_c..._suppliers.htm
    Last edited by Gene Weitzel; 04-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Isn't ammonium nitrate 46-0-0 fertilizer?

I use this bagged fertilizer for snow/ice melt as it is reported better for concrete than rock salt. The bag says it is derived from urea and a 50# bag sells for $29 at the local coop. No known amounts of any additional products and no questions asked except "Cash or charge?"

If you want a small quantity, send me a PM.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Ammonium Nitrate is use to sleep bees when
    1- You want to change a hive from a place to another that is very near (5 or 10 Mts)
    2- When you want to introduce a queen in a hive.
    Is like the bees don´t remember nothing
    Gabriel

Default " Laughing Gas"

AKA: Nirous oxide that is used in dentistry.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/