Thread: Drone Cells???

Default Drone Cells???

OK

Probably yet another "dumb" question, but I have to ask it:

I went through the hives the other day and when I seperated the top box from the bottom box there were cells in the middle space between the boxes. Are these drone cells or queen / swarm cells??

Thanks

If they are long, kinda shaped like a peanut, they could be queen cells. I usually get comb drawn between boxes and it's just regular comb with drone or worker cells. My guess is that's what you have.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

It could be either.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There are a lot of them though......would they really lay that many queen cells between the top and bottom box??

Most probably is drone cells in the comb drawn inbetween the frames between stacked hive boxes. Very common in spring. Swarm Queen cells are usually at the bottom bar of the frames, drones in the space inbetween the bottom bars of top box and the top bars of the bottom box, in the space between the boxes. Most commonly. Sometimes queen cells can be found wherever you happen to find them.

If they are horizontal they are drones. If they are vertical they are queens.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks, they are horizontal!

You say there are a lot of them.
    What is the distance between the bottom of the top frame and the top of the bottom frame ?

You will normally have some burr comb, but "a lot ".

3/8 inch is I believe the correct distance.

Every body does thing differently !

PCM

Default Drone cells

Let me throw in with PCM.

If you maintain beespace of a quarter to three eighths inches between bottom and top bars at box joints, you will not get "cordwood" drone cells.

Unfortunatly, even boxes and frames from the same supplier sometimes do not do this. Some adjustment is required.

See article #26 in POV this site.

Walt