Default Date for drones upstate Ny???

I put an emergency frame of brood and eggs with a cutout I did the other day. They might raise a queen but I've seen no drone cells so far. Any hope?

I live in mass but I usually don't see drones at all until the middle of april and they are still very young at that time.

Good luck
    -Jeff

I have seen overwintered droans in some hives but not sure if they would be any good. I normally don't start raising queens until May 1 and have enough droans around but do see droans flying by the middle of april. You are south of me so I would think you have a shot at getting her mated with a little luck. Let us know if it works out mayby I'll start my queens a little earlier next year.

good luck mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aram View Post
    I put an emergency frame of brood and eggs with a cutout I did the other day. They might raise a queen but I've seen no drone cells so far. Any hope?
    I know the snow is mostly gone in NY, but you sure are getting a jump on the season, aren't you? Raising cells and queens in SC isn't going all that great here yet. And I figure that on average NY is 4 to 6 weeks behind SC. I'd wait another couple of weeks if I were you.

Are you in the Finger Lakes area?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Thank you all.
    I'm in Mid Hudson Valley area. It's not my choice to raise a raising a queen, I'm willing to buy one, I just didn't find any yet. To be fair to the homeowners I had to do the removal now before the colony started to build up.
    I don't mind waiting a few weeks, I don't know about the bees though. If they start a queen cell and still no drones I'm thinking I could cut the QC and give them another frame of brood. Would that stretch their patience too long? Will I end up with a bunch of laying workers? (I do want drones, just not all drones... ) HAs anyone tried delaying this way?

It is too early for any quality queen rearing in North East.
    Unite that colony with a strong one and you can divide them latter, some time in early May.

Gilman

Quote Originally Posted by Aram View Post
    Thank you all.
    I'm in Mid Hudson Valley area. It's not my choice to raise a raising a queen, I'm willing to buy one, I just didn't find any yet. To be fair to the homeowners I had to do the removal now before the colony started to build up.
    I don't mind waiting a few weeks, I don't know about the bees though. If they start a queen cell and still no drones I'm thinking I could cut the QC and give them another frame of brood. Would that stretch their patience too long? Will I end up with a bunch of laying workers? (I do want drones, just not all drones... ) HAs anyone tried delaying this way?
    Did you remove a colony from the wall of someones house? I missed that part. And you didn't get the queen? If you didn't get comb w/ very young brood, the colony won't raise a queen. So, don't sweat the absence of drones.

If you have other hives, you could add these bees to another colony.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Default Get a Queen

Buy a queen from Sam Comfort - Anarchy Apiaries

I added one of his Queens to a cutout I did last summer. It was the only one of my hives to survive the winter.

(was this a cutout from Port Ewen?)

Combining it is then. I have top bar hives so it's a bit trickier.
    I removed the bees from a wall, no brood, the little comb was bright yellow, no sign of cocoons in it ever and very little stores. The bees appeared at the house last September after a tornado ripped through the area. My guess is they lost the queen with the move or soon after.
    John, I sent you a PM.
    Thanks all,
    Aram

Update to my own question: today. I did a quick inspection and found capped drone comb.
    Happy spring!