Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Prevent comp claims

6K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Some of the hardest work we have to do is shifting colonies between pallets. Culling, consolidating and so on. Like if you are shipping out for pollination.
I hate to think how many times, how much damage I did to my self...
Mann Lake sells these hand truck kind of things that grip a box from the side by either the handhold or cleat. They are just outta sight. Doubles, triples, rough ground, no sweat. You ( or hired man ) can set them down on clips with ease.The balance and tire size are perfect. $350 more or less I love it.;)

#11 ·
Clamp-squeeze

What ever you want to call it-Keiths deal works slick. Works good with 1 person and great with 2 people. Make that great with 1 person as compared to squat and lift. I have used it many times, now I just need Keith to let me measure it! O-yea it folds up to fit behind your seat.
Jack

#12 ·
Something that we did at the last place I worked was streching before we started the days work and the supervisor would give us the details of what we were going to be doing and answer any questions as well. we called it the tool box talk but i suppose as beeks we would call it the tail gate meeting. I have started streching before getting into my bees and it makes a big difference.

#14 ·
With 4000+ colonies and only 5 guys we have to work pretty fast. When we are doing a major move, like pulling bees out of (cue up ominous music) The Valley (California's Imperial Valley, 120 degrees in the summer, no breeze) we work in teams of three. One guy on the Swinger, and two guys 'putting together' pallets. With two guys carrying a colony by the cleats, back strain is reduced to a tolerable level. It works well, two guys putting together pallets to fill empty spots from deadouts and smoking the colonies matches the speed that the guy on the Swinger can load the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.