Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New from Missouri

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Zane 
#1 ·
Glad to have found this forum.. im a member of an orchid forum.. a family milk cow forum..and finally a bee forum! lol.. i had bees when we first moved out here.. one of the packages i had had a blond italian queen.. she aparently was not verry strong.. as that hive never did verry well the other did tho.. unfortunately we thought we had to move.. (job relocation possible) so ended up selling the hives and bees.. fast forward to today.. job didnt move.. and so im restarting with bees again.. im purchasing 2 nuc boxes from a gentleman up in lees summit. now with the package bees it was fiarly straight forward.. do i do basically the same with the nuc? put in the frames shake the excess bees in .. close up shop so no escapess.. that type thing?
also.. i want to make sure i keep the bees healthy.. is there a part of the forum here that can tell me time fram wise what to do with the bees? meds and such..
these hives are going in my garden this year.. last year i had them in the back part near the woods.. also lol i dont think ill grow sunflower this year either.. it seems to make the wa verry dark.. and just looks funky..

#2 ·
#5 ·
Hello
Welcome to the forum. If you go to http://www.mostatebeekeepers.org/local_associations.htm you will find the local MO beekeepers associations, by looking at the map Midwestern Beekeepers may be the closest. They are a good bunch that will be more than happy to teach and help you. I am a firm believer in joining and attending clubs and meetings.
As for the nucs they are easier than the packages and should be better if you are getting them from some one that does not have any diseases (not saying anything is wrong or right with your supplier). One thing to remeber when transfering them to your hive is to keep the current brood pattern the same to help keep the heat there. If you can take your hives to him now and have him start them in you hives not his nucs.

Jethro

#6 ·
ahh i wish i could.. but the truck i used to have.. well.. it died last year. and we only have a car.. pthh.. im going to get a truck this year. just not in time..
i figure this is another learning expierence for me.. this time im using used boxes. i dissinfected them. and got them set up.. im gona expierement with having them draw out thier own comb.. and using starter comb to see what the difference is.. one thing i noticed.is that when i work the bees.. i seem to go into a .. well a zen state? lol.. i get calm.. and i notice things.. this is a photo of my blond queen on undrawn comb.. 2 years ago.. she was a package from rossman apiaries.
i dont know how i got the photo i did .. buti lucked out it seems.. lol

#9 ·
thanks guys.. and rick.. friend of mine sent me first to your add.. then throuhg that i found the site.. i like it.. bit of fun..a nd a bit of business..and a bit of everything.. love it..
my first start with bees i was 6 years old. my g pa had a avocado orchard and a bee keeper was there the same day i was tending his hives.. and he actualy allowed me to help him with the bees and taught me a little bit.. i still remember that day like yesterday.. near 30 years later.

#10 ·
Welcome

Welcome Beekeper Lady,
I bought a nuc last year from Overland Park area and just put them in my deep w/ 5 frames(that I brought) then I put them in the trunk of my little work car w/ a screen top and bottom. I picked them up at dusk and never had a bee bother me all the way home 6 hours later(had to work). I took a headnet but didnt need it. But thats your call. I've driven home w/ a few swarms in the Buick and tests proove that the girls like the ride in the Buick 9 out of 10 times better than the Ford 1 ton! :lpf: Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.