Default Hello from northwest minnesota

Hello. Been a newbie for a year now and have been on here awhile. My wife and I have 4 hives of which three died out this winter but I do have one that looks like made it. We are maple syruping now, that is when the sap runs again . Supposed to get cold again. We trap leeches and minnows to sell during the summer. We have 2 horses and plan to get into chickens this year to. I weld for a shop in town and my wife plays an accordion, piano and organ for parties,nursing homes and such. We are also square dancers. Hope I didnt bore anybody to death with all this. Ha.
    Harold and Patty

I heard we're supposed to get another pile of snow too. Hopefully the last one of this winter. Hope your last colony stays strong.

Glad you joined us. Best wishes to you in all your endeavors, including the bees!
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

Nuke , are you from Long Prairie? Might have sent this twice.

Its good to hear from another Minnesota beekeeper. It seems like spring is still a few weeks away. We picked up over a Inch of rain here in west central MN and that pretty well took care of the snow. Now we just need to melt the last 24" of ice left on the lakes. ----Randy

A hearty WELCOME to you from down here in Texas!!!...I ave a connection to your beautiful state---my dad was born in Mankato and raised in Wauseca.....Small world...LOL
    Rick~LtlWilli

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you've been getting some weather up there.

Stay dry!

-Phil

Default leech traps?

I drove to Detroit Lakes last winter and was impressed by all the cabins in that country. We don't know what population is where I live, we pretty much have this area all to ourselves which is pretty nice. I live next to a small lake, ( I'm the only resident on its shores) and it's full of leeches. What's your method of trapping them?

I just use black plastic bags and bait them with beef kidney. What kind of trees do you have around you? Are you heavily wooded? We live at the end of the road so it feels like we are alone. Quiet.

Sorry took me so long to recheck this thread Beehappy. I'm in Staples. Keep my bees south of town on the folks' farm.

It is good to hear from other minnesota beekeepers. I work with my dad on hives by Willmar, but live in St Cloud. Does anyone that reads this fourm attend the monthly meetings for the Tri-County Beekeepers Association? I was wondering what the crowd is like there? Good attendence?

Default Tri-County Beekeepers

There is an artical in the April 2009 American bee Journal about Minnesota beekeeping. In the artical it states they have about 25-30 people attend there meetings.----Randy

Default Re: Hello from northwest minnesota

hey dave,,im north of willmar 20 or 30 miles..got any good ideas how to install package bees in the snow?

im supposed to get packages on monday..and we have a foot or so of new snow on the ground...if anyone has good ideas on how to keep them alive till warm up or installing...sent me a suggestion...i could always use some new ideas

Welcome Harold and Patty!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!