Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honey and burns

Default Re: Honey and burns

Today my niece's 5 year old son got quite a burn from the muffler of a motorcycle. It happened so fast that the skin was already immediately peeling off. Not sure if it had stuck to the muffler a bit or not.

My sister applied ice and I said we need honey for that burn! We went into the house for Dad's honey and bandages. They gave him a little Tylenol and I applied a honey bandage. He had been complaining of pain. A little while later, thanks to Tylenol and honey, he said it didn't hurt any more. His family is concerned about him being able to sleep tonight. I said I think he'll sleep fine.

The honey is supposed to help with pain, prevent infection and speed healing. We'll be watching it.

Oh, and earlier today, I cut a finger and applied honey and bandaid to it.

Yesterday, I was visiting a neighbor 4 houses down. While we were visiting outdoors, another lady came by walking her dog. My neighbor asked her how her leg was doing. The lady said she was on her second antibiotic and it was not helping. I asked if she had an open wound and she said yes, there was getting to be a hole. She was tested for MRSA and did not have that, but an infection that would not heal. I told her to get some raw honey and apply it and a dressing. Told her to check on the internet about that if she wanted to not take my word for that. She seemed very interested in the honey and said she would let us know how she does.

Honey that is in contact with body fluids (sores, burns, etc.) will react and produce small (safe and good) amounts of hydrogen peroxide which inhibits infection. Honey is also antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal. Wounds treated with honey heal faster and scarring is reduced. Honey nourishes skin cells.

I will update when I find out more on these cases.

I'm confident you will be pleased with the results. Have had numerous occasions to use honey on wounds, both myself and my kids with great results.
    Regards, Barry

anyone ever use honey on stings? with what results?
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

A good thought buzz, and I have a couple right now that I'll try it on to be sure, they're a few hours old, but I'll give it the experiment, a few drops of honey's a cheap price for a useful experiment

That said, I'm hypothesizing that the result will be a, now sticky, swollen sting that heals exactly like others I've experienced. To my knowledge, the vast majority of the healing properties of honey can be attributed to the bactericidal, virucidal, and fungicidal effects of the slow release of hydrogen peroxide by the honey. Unfortunately, bee venom is not bacterial, viral, or fungal (and is itself also a bactericide/fungicide I believe), so the peroxide I don't think is likely to alter it much; however, most of the active "ingredients" in the venom ARE proteins, so there's the possibility of the peroxide having some effect on them.

The most effective way to denature bee venom, that I'm aware of to date, is the use of protease enzymes, such as those in Paypaya &/or Meat Tenderizer.

These must be applied quickly, and in a way that they can reach the venom to break down its proteins, but work very effectively on a molecular level to convert the venom into harmless proteins...when applied effectively.

Unfortunately, I don't think my current stings will be much of a "fair trial," as they're already several hours old, but if it DOES work, we'll have learned something, and if not, then maybe someone else can try it on some fresh stings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12