Thread: split?

Default split?

I am completely new to this hobby. I have done some reading but have loads of learning left.

I am going to be purchasing some gear this week-end (new) and have started looking around for nucs. So far i haven't had the best luck with that idea, however there is a local guy who is selling a few hives in what he calls full size for 300 dollars. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to acquire one of these colonies and split it into 2 hives with no real experience. I do have an acquaintance who keeps bees that i could probably get to help me out if necessary.

thanks

Yes you probably can. If you buy the hive you can split it and let them make a second queen. Look at what the Americans are paying for a hive though, sad isn't it?

no idea what they are paying, i have been looking around online but haven't noticed that, i assume its much less.

yeah thats more or less the idea i was thinking, move part of the colony to another hive with some brood and queen cells and hope for the best. If doing this is it best to keep the two hives a fair distance apart, or better to just contain the bees in the new hive until it has a queen too?

300CAD=241.69USD
    would almost pay to take the Cat to bar harbor or maybe drive
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by afss View Post
    no idea what they are paying, i have been looking around online but haven't noticed that, i assume its much less.
    around 150CAD for a full colony, 105CAD for a nuc, and I have seen 81CAD for a package
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. - Oscar Wilde

yep, i guess thats what banning importation will do, supply and demand is a b***h.