Question Fumagilin + megabee + honey b healthy?

FUMAGILIN + MEGABEE + HONEY B HEALTHY

All three of these have been recommended to me for my new hives.

Is doing all three overkill?

Is there a best way to give them all three in the Spring?

By that I mean what combination or patty, liquid, and/or powder mixed in with sugar would work best?

Well, three different things going on there.

Pollen (I'm assuming in patty form) is to help stimulate brood. As is the feeding of syrup. To me the HBH is nothing more the feeding, I think HBH makes the bees take the syrup better but as many will tell you your millage will vary.

Fumagilin is to treat nosema.

K

Quote Originally Posted by kopeck View Post
    Well, three different things going on there.

Pollen (I'm assuming in patty form) is to help stimulate brood. As is the feeding of syrup. To me the HBH is nothing more the feeding, I think HBH makes the bees take the syrup better but as many will tell you your millage will vary.

Fumagilin is to treat nosema.

K

So can you add the HBH and the Fumagilin to the syrup together?

overkill depends who you ask... IMHO yes the HBH should cut down the likelihood of nosema but if you are concerned with the possibility of nosema and you feel that HBH is not enough then other products are available ie. Nozevit
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by kopeck View Post
    Pollen (I'm assuming in patty form) is to help stimulate brood.
    K
    Megabee can also be had in powder form... you can make your own patties, feed it dry, or mix it in heavy syrup. I'm going to try a 2:1 w/ megabee and HBH to start my new colonies with
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. - Oscar Wilde

I used a Fall feeding of the homemade equivalent of HBH and there were no signs of problems. Bees are healthy and we're getting ready to take on the world out there

after buying both HBH and Nozevit I learned both of the formulas... oh well

Quote Originally Posted by TodesSchatten View Post
    after buying both HBH and Nozevit I learned both of the formulas... oh well
    What is Nozevit's formula? There is nothing on the bottle.

it is an oak tannin base I am going to test it and see if I can replicate it w/ grape tannin (easier to get). as experiments get completed I'll post results to my web site

There is a very good queen breeder down here that feeds megabee patties with fumagillin . He has good success with it and his queens are great. He mixes 50lbs of sugar with a bag of megabee ,2 gallons of water and a bottle of fumagillin. I think he does in the fall only though.

>Is doing all three overkill?

Since I would not do any of them I'd say any of them is overkill.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Is doing all three overkill?

Since I would not do any of them I'd say any of them is overkill.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm
    I know you don't use/advocate stuff like Fumagilin-B and I agree and the more I research hear coming out Europe I'm glad of my decision. EO's and EO derivatives are separate issues, but not feeding a pollen substitute at all ever? why?

I know that feeding back pollen that the bees have collected would/might be better, but feeding unknown source pollen poses all the same risks that feeding unknown source honey to your girls.

>but not feeding a pollen substitute at all ever? why?

They have done many studies over the years. Bees reared on substitutes are short lived and not healthy. Bees reared on substitutes by bees reared on substitutes almost always fail.

I have been known to mix some dry substitute 50/50 with real pollen, but only if I'm short on real pollen and there's a pollen dearth. I never feed straight pollen substitute. My bees have enough problems without having to deal with malnutrition as well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >They have done many studies over the years. Bees reared on substitutes are short lived and not healthy. Bees reared on substitutes by bees reared on substitutes almost always fail.
    bowing to greater knowledge on this subject, but this assumes all substitutes are the same. the sub in question was developed from research on bee nutrition not attempts to make a cheep replacement for pollen(http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archiv...egabee0208.pdf). MegaBee also has some large scale field use by some reputable people that show its effects are quite beneficial (http://www.scientificbeekeeping.com/...ask=view&id=52) and (http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archiv...egabee0208.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by dni View Post
    FUMAGILIN + MEGABEE + HONEY B HEALTHY

All three of these have been recommended to me for my new hives.

Is doing all three overkill?

Is there a best way to give them all three in the Spring?

By that I mean what combination or patty, liquid, and/or powder mixed in with sugar would work best?
    All of this can be put into one application. Fumagilin and HBH can be put into a thick 2:1 syrup and used to make patties with the mega bee. as a matter of fact I'm doing something like that with my hives and I don't see where it wouldn't hurt for new hive. I would though, in addition to this, give them liquid feed also.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC