Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Carbolineum Wood Treatment

18K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BEES4U 
#1 ·
I recently received and advertisement in the mail for Carbolineum wood preservative. This ad recommended it on bee equipment. I have never heard of it before. Has anyone tried it? I was thinking of using it on lids. Ay thoughts would be appreciated.

Their website: www.carbolineum.com

#2 ·
Carbolineum

Hi, this material was used for many years for all kinds of wood treatments such as fence posts, railroad ties and power poles. I don't think that you have seen much of this much less smelled it. I don't think that is is allowed anymore for these items and I definitely would not use it anywhere around bees or the garden. If you ever got this stuff on your bare skin you would know it for days by its burning sensation. Take care and have fun

#4 ·
Effect of Wood Preservative Treatment of Beehives on Honey Bees and Hive

Effect of Wood Preservative Treatment of Beehives on Honey Bees and Hive
Products.
Here is some very good data:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1984/kalni84a.pdf
Effects of wood preservatives on the microenvironment in treated beehives were assessed by measuring
performance of honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) colonies and levels of preservative residues in bees, honey,
and beeswax. Five hives were used for each preservative treatment: copper naphthenate, copper
8-quinolinolate, pentachlorophenol (PCP), chromated copper arsenate (CCA), acid copper chromate
(ACC), tributyltin oxide (TBTO), Forest Products Laboratory water repellent, and no treatment (control).
Honey, beeswax, and honey bees were sampled periodically during two successive summers. Elevated
levels of PCP and tin were found in bees and beeswax from hives treated with those preservatives. A
detectable rise in copper content of honey was found in samples from hives treated with copper naphthenate.
CCA treatment resulted in an increased arsenic content of bees from those hives. CCA,
TBTO, and PCP treatments of beehives were associated with winter losses of colonies.

Ernie

#5 ·
Your answer in a nut shell:

Your answer in a nutshell:
beehives with (1) a preservative-free water-repellent
solution, (2) copper naphthenate, (3) copper 8-
quinolinolate, and (4) ACC. Winter survival with these
treatments was better than or comparable to that in controls.
Of these four treatments, only copper naphthenate
gave a slight increase in copper content of honey (less than
1 ppm).
We suggest that beekeepers not use PCP, TBTO, or
CCA for treatment of beehives. The CCA treatment, being
nonvolatile and largely insoluble (fixed in wood), could be
used only on hive parts that rarely come in contact with
bees.
Protection of wooden beehive parts without detrimental
effects on bees, honey, and wax should result from treatment
with copper naphthenate, ACC, and copper 8-
quinolinolate.
Early indications are that the preservative-free, waterrepellent
treatments do not provide long-term protection
against decay in all hive parts. Additional observations
are needed to fully define the utility and limits of waterrepellent
treatments for beehives in this climate, but early
results indicate that treatment of hive parts with an acceptable
preservative is warranted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.