Default Where did my bee's go?

Lately my 2 hives in the front yard have been gathering pollen(lots of white and light yellow) like they are suppose to. 2 days ago the larger hive that usually had 2-3 times more bees out around the porch reduced in size to about the other hive(10-20 bee's at any time). Neither are taking much sugar water(maybe 1/2 - 1 pint a day). I did notice the larger hive has started eating the extra frame of honey I had in the feeder deep. The weather has been higher than normal in the 70's. It was close to rain last afternoon and cool so I didn't open in up. Just wondeering if I could have had an early swarm?

Inspect your hive and look for hatched swarm cells.

sounds like they swarmed. The swarmers ate up a bunch of honey in the hive in preparation of leaving, so the "stay-behinds" have to eat your feed for awhile 'til stores are built up.

that's my guess, anyway.

Sounds like they swarmed. Inspect the hive for swarm cells, if you find a bunch destroy all but a couple of healthy ones and leave them alone for a couple of week. The reason for this action, it will help prevent an after swarm, which happens many times after a hive swarms. The first queen that hatches will take care of the other. Its early the hive should recover.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

I looked @ the bottom deep and no swarm cells near the bottom. I removed a couple upper deep frames and diidnt see anything but there is a good 5 + frames of honey still. I didn't have my sharper hive tool so I didnt split the deep box's yet. Will try again tomorrow.
    thx for the input.

Zane, In my area i don't worry about swarms until i start seeing drone cells or drones. I checked my hives at collins,Mo. yesterday (3/18/09) and found one queenless and one that i thought was strong a week ago was robbed out. The activity you were seeing in front of what you thought was a strong hive could have been robbers, that's what happened to me. You are aprox. 250 miles north of me and my hives just now have 2 to 3 frames of brood and no drone brood, I don't think swarming is the problem, it's just been to cold for them to think about swarming. Just mho, Jack

I dont think they where robbing. The bee's where just hanging out at the entrance. They are too relaxed to have been being robbed I think. Heck it could just be some new bee's out on their early flights? Just seem odd to have the change in population overnight. It has been warm this past week w/ 70's during the day over here. Just trying to gt a feel on things.

The bees are still there? Then I would say bearding and/or "play" flights.