Default Communal Orders and Shipping Costs

Does anyone have any success with doing one big order from a beekeeping supply company and saving on shipping? Like doing a comunal order with other beekeepers in the area to save on shipping costs?
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Most clubs do that.

MM

I am not sure what sort of scale you are talking about, but it is common practice for commercial beeks to share semis. The truck will cost the same, it doesn't matter how many pallets are on it.
    If you are talking small orders shipped via UPS or USPS, some savings might apply, depending on the seller, their policy and the items being shipped. If they are light items you could save a lot. For instance 1 pair of gloves might cost $5 to ship but 3 pairs only $6. It is best to ask.

Another way to save with communal orders is with volume discounts. What comes to mind right now is for packages. 1-10 usually is more expensive than 10+. The same principle applies to many bee supplies.
    Sheri

Chef,

We do that. In addition to saving on the fraight you can also get a better deal on the cost of things by ordering a larger amount. We usually devide the shipping based upon the cost of heavy items. ie if three people order different amounts of supers like 150, 250 and 100. and the shipping is 320 bucks. We divide 320 by 500 and that gives you .64 cents per super. So thats what each person pays in addition to the super cost.

Works out well and with items like supers, hive bodies or anything else that you get a bulk discount on its way worth the money to go in with others.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

One way I take advantage of larger orders is by getting my own UPS account and charging the shipping to it. UPS offers a "hundred weight" discount for orders of 200 lbs or more but most suppliers will not pass this on to the customer. I get discounts on shipping in this way in many, but not all, cases.
    Also, I have truck orders and most UPS orders shipped to a commercial address which results in less cost than delivery to a residential or rural address. I also combine orders when possible.