Default How many hive bodies.

i am just starting out and have two hives. My packages will be here in May and I have read many different things about this. I live in the south and both my hives only have one hive body. Do you think this will be fine? When they get it mostly filled up I'll add the super but is one hive body enough for winter stores?

In your area 1 hive body will probably suffice. However, I like to use 1 deep hive body and 1 medium for the brood nest. I put the medium on the bottom board with the deep on top of the medium.

This gives space for the food chamber and allows room for the queen to lay lots of eggs which means more bees to gather the crop.

I am in NC and an new to bee keeping also. I used 2 hive bodies for all of my hives. I found this made inspection of hte bottom hive body difficult at best because of the weight of the top hive body moving it off and on and expecially with an aggressive hive. I ended up having problems with SHB and mites in my hives that moved into the bottom hive body and I did not catch the problem until it was too late. I am going to redo my hives with only one hive body from now on and probablly a medium for their stores. This is just my 2 cents.

I use two, switched to that method late in the season last year. In the hive in my front yard
    they are laying in the top deep, not much right now in the bottom in the frames I inspected. I am going to switch these about mid-april before the honeyflow starts and see how they do.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

I use two, switched to that method late in the season last year in the hive in my front yard.
    They are laying in the top deep, not much right now in the bottom in the frames I inspected. I am going to switch these about mid-april before the honeyflow starts and see how they do.

The other hives are on two deeps also, but with fresh foundation. As I understand it they won't draw out these until they have stored honey/pollen in the other and need the room.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.