Thread: Help please...

Default Help please...

Ok, I split my big hive. The org. hive was (3) deep & then some. 1st & 2nd were brude, honey, pollen and the third was honey. 4th brude & (2) supers were drawn out. When I checked the hive I found 7 deep frames with queen cells about 1" long. I kept (3) frames with queen cells & cut the others out and put them on my chair. The three splits were (1) hatching, (2) bride, (1) honey, & (6) new frames in a deep hive box. At that point I was feeling good about life. I put sugar water on them, reduced the ent. to 1", & moved 1/4 mile. That is the furthest I can go, sorry. When I got back I finished with my last hive and looked at the queen cells to find nothing in them. The reason I am tripping is I think the (3) splits may have empty queen cells like the ones I inspected.

Ok, what's next? Should I open them back up, leave alone, put them back, or give up?

Thanks guys and gals'.

I'd say to leave them alone and check back on them in three weeks.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

I would give them a few days and go listen to them. if they seem to be very loud and aggressive, get eggs into them /queens asap, if there isn't a noticable "roar" going on, wait and see.
    welcome to your new addiction!!

my advice would somewhat follow along with big bore + a warning. queen cells (at an early stages of development) are delicate and I would never recommend that you move a hive (nuc or whatever) with a queen cell of undetermined age.