Default Bees out in rain

Question:
    Saw bees out in rain yesterday, on the entrance board and on the front of the hive in my front yard. Temps were low. Now there are a few dead bees on the entrance board. Anyone ever see bees out of the hive in rain and low temps?
    This makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by gingerbee; 03-16-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

I just saw the same thing with mine. Several dead also.

I received this reply on another board:

They were likely warm enough to fly, but wouldn't because of the rain. They will also use water to rehydrate honey before feeding it to the larva or eating it. They will take a certain amount of water at all times.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Well, I hope this isn't some kind of North Carolina phenomenon. My hives work in the cold and rain also. But to be fair, I'm freezing when it's 55 and raining.

I noticed the same thing with my hives yesterday. I walked out to my hives, not expecting to see much, and there they were flying around!!! It was kinda strange seeing them in the rain. And as with ya'll I now have 5-10 dead bees laying on the landing boards.
    Patrick
    "To escape criticism-do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

When it gets all the way up to 55 around here we go to the beach..Come on Spring. Tony

Heck, if my girls didn't fly unless it was sunny and 65 or warmer then they would end up working about 2 weeks out of the entire season.
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

I've seen it now and again. With bees, you just never know......
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I think the girls were stir crazy here also. Went down to the hives this afternoon,high forties,raining and they were out and about. Second year for me so it really amazed me. Ive been seeing all of these nice blooms and been feeling their pain about having to stay inside. I think the rain is just about over. They will be out in force tomorrow. CU Dave