Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dead Bee Blocking enterence

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kopeck 
#1 ·
One of my colonies went in to winter with a big cluster. They're still alive but I've twice had to pull the entrance reducer and scrape out a bunch of dead bees just so those that are still kicking can get out. Once I've done this I do get activity coming and going where as before they there was nothing while my other colonies were flying.

I'm worried that my bottom deep is just chalked full of dead bees (at least it looks that way from the entrance slot) and I'll keep fighting this until I can remove the top brood box and give the bottom box and the bottom board a good cleaning. Is there anything else I can do until I get the weather to do this?

They have a top entrance (groove in the homasote) but don't really seem to want to use it. Moisture doesn't seem to be a problem and the are still pretty heavy so I don't think they're going to starve.

It may be that I'm fighting a losing battle but this was my top producer last year so if I can get them through it would be great.

K

#4 ·
Yank the reducer and let them have at it. Not too much worry about mice right now. Check for moisture as well. I've noticed that the bees have a much harder time moving dead, wet bees and they often kinda give up at the entrance. Make sure you don't have too much moisture inside. Pulling the reducer may help if you do.

#6 ·
If they are already only using a top entrance, then you never get it blocked by dead bees. :)

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance

But now, I suppose it is an issue. Some people make a bent wire thingy to reach in and pull out the dead bees. Some get even fancier and come up with something to rake them out with that works even better.

#7 ·
I brought my longer hive tool and pulled out a bunch more. I was able too look up into the frames (bit better light and better angle) and I didn't see as much of a mess as I thought I would, it looks like most of the mess is just crammed on the bottom board.

The good news is a couple of bees came out to look and see what was going on, so they have some sort of path.

I didn't pull the reducer but I did put it in it's more open position, that should give them a much clearer path to get out.

I figure by the end of the month we should have some warmer days and I'll get the deeps off the bottom board and get it cleaned off. Until then I'll just keep and eye on them.

Thanks!

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.