Default Parafin Dipping - Alternative Wood Finishes

Hi Guys,

Here's a neat chart for those interesting in using non-paint type finishes:

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

I just hate painting. And am looking for another kind of finish. Would like to dip. But don't have enough equipment to justify the setup.

Regards
    BWrangler
    I once wrangled bees. But now, knowing better, I just let them bee.
    http://talkingstick.me/category/bees/

BW, you need to find another beekeep with a dipping set up and become that persons friend. I have a few that use my set up. They buy the beeswax and/or pariffin and rosin they plan to use. When I am done, they draw a line on the outside of the tank at the level (with chalk) and make sure I am left with my initial quantity in the tank. They bring their 20 pound propane tank also. These are the same beekeeps that help me when I am in a pinch....

Now one of my friends started building his beekeeping equipment here also, cuts down on travel time and moving effort. I think I'll start charging him storage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Jeffzhear; 03-15-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added another comment

I have always liked the looks of dipped hive bodies.

For you folks that have used this process (jeff, bwrangler) do you think it makes the hive bodies last longer, shorter, about the same? Is there ever any need for reapplication?

I dip at 200 Degrees for 12 hrs.....92% parfin and 8% copper nafinate(sp) Some treated in1994 ....still look like new!

Default Parafin & Gum Rosin Dipping

I have not seen the need to redip anything yet. I believe this will take care of them for many years to come. In the long run if you are going to dip any quanity of hives bodys believe it or not I think this will cost you less money than painting them. It just makes it so much easier to do also. I can dip 20 hive bodys and the level of product doesn't even seem to go down. Maybe a 1/4 inch. I have read that a large hive body will take about 28grams of product.
    Here is a link to my setup. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27288326@N08/

Any questions just let me know.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    I have always liked the looks of dipped hive bodies.

For you folks that have used this process (jeff, bwrangler) do you think it makes the hive bodies last longer, shorter, about the same? Is there ever any need for reapplication?
    I can't really comment on how long it makes the hive bodies last as I have only been dipping two seasons now. I will say this, the water beads up on my equipment like the first day I put them in the field. I believe they will last much longer (many many years) than painted equipment with much less maintenance. The time savings by dipping vs painting is so significant, I would never go back to painting anything unless I couldn't get it in my dipping tank.

Some of the advantages: No chipped paint, no harm if you scrape, bump, etc. No touch up of paint. No worries when you scrape down the propolis buildup on the edges of your boxes/equipment.

The boxes are natural wood color and don't stand out like painted equipment. They do weather, in that they get dirty, ect. but they look even more naturale'.

I haven't had to re-dip any equipment yet, however, there won't be any paint scraping, high pressure water removal of paint, priming and repainting. Just drop the equipment in the tank for 10 min's plus or minus and I'm good to go.

Now, I have had one box out 150 split and separate on one side (eight inches - with the grain) in a weak spot while dipping and one migratory cover warp. Other than that, no problems. I suspect that if I dipped with select equipment I would have even better results, as there are less knots and imperfections to cause problems.

Great photos, Kentucky bee. Looks like a good way to treat and preserve hives.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.