Default 1 Gal Vs. 2 Gal. Frame Feeders

Any one out there have a preference on one or the other? It seems the 2 Gal would require less attention.

Thanks
    Riverdog

I wasn't even aware there were 2 gal frame feeders. With 2 gal, while you might have to come back less often, I would think the disadvantage would be it displaces 2 frames instead of 1.
    All our deeps have a permanent 1 gal division feeder. This way we can feed at any time and don't need to be carrying boxes around to put the feeders/frames in as they are replaced.
    When we needed to do mass feeding for overwintering we used large hive top feeders that held (I think )4 gallons, maybe 3.
    Sheri

hivetop feeders--easy to manage and no direct exposure of bee to the elements.

I like to have a frame feeder in every brood chamber. I leave them in year round. I don't care to replace them with a frame. It's such a pain. We are in poor honey producing area (having said those words we're sure to have a bumper crop this year), so I feed often. I like to keep the hives populous. We are a pollinating business and we also sell hives, nucs. It's all for sale for the right price. That being said I like being able to feed all hives at any given time. I also like to turn hives into cell builders at any given location. I'll take capped brood out and the queen reduce to 1 box and voila cell builder. Now I feed them, graft 2-3 hours later after we've made the cell builders. All brood chambers having a frame feeder I don't have to worry about carting that equipment around.

I suppose the extra volume of 2 gallons is good, requiring less visits for feeding. If hives are very light we also feed the bottom box. I know it's a pain but it's usually not that many hives that require this. If they are drastically light there are always supersize feeders, you know drums. I usually never let colonies get in that state.

Jean-Marc