Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looks more than adequate - I wouldn't mind one for myself

We usually run one, sometimes two dipsey's - Bill has long, extendable aluminium arms (20 feet or so) with a light rope on a pulley system and a clip like is used on a down rigger - he swings the arm out the side of the boat - like a wing on a plane - runs the dipsey out - squeezes the dipsey line in the clip - runs that out by pulley to the end of the arm - I didn't mention it before because I hate them - they trip much easier than a regular line and it's too much work to reel them in without any reward. At least he has an electric reel on one of the rods.

I love me some Honey Crisp apples as well - tart, sweet, firm and juicy - best apple there is

Thumbs Up Re: Some of the best fishing in the Midwest - Everyone loves Fish stories!

The salmon have been biting for a couple of weeks now - it's been hit and miss with the weather though. I haven't gotten on the boat yet, but my uncle reports at least one up to seven every night have been caught. The charter boat based out of Jackson Harbor had 18 on the morning of the 6th and another friend had 12 before daybreak on the 4th.

The small mouth have also been up and down. Some days you can catch your limit in under an hour - others you can't get them to bite. I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching can't always be easy.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional

Default Re: Some of the best fishing in the Midwest - Everyone loves Fish stories!

If you want to make a bee keeper happy be sure that their hands are wraped around the following
    fishing pole
    hunting rifle
    hunting bow
    B-B-Q tongs
    or maybe a beer
    And, of course loading full supers of high grade honey
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Re: Some of the best fishing in the Midwest - Everyone loves Fish stories!

Sounds great Jesse.

I think I was born with a fishing rod in my hand
    spending every summer on Mille Lacs Lake since
    birth.

Mille Lacs Lake (Minn) is a extraordinary walleye
    fishery.

I moved here (Devils Lake ND) and although I
    have great stories from Mille Lacs, this lake
    is an incredible fishery. Many feel it's the #1
    walleye lake in the US.

A week ago a friend from Minn came to visit and
    wanted to drag his boat. I said no need that we're
    still catching walleye/northern from the comfort of
    a lawn chair from shore..... In July.

He and I filleted just shy of 50 walleye fishing 2 hours
    a night while the Weber sizzled with brats.

Michael,
    Does he noodle those??
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    The salmon have been biting for a couple of weeks now - it's been hit and miss with the weather though.
    The salmon need to start moving south in the bay. It's been very slow around Green Island. We did catch an 18lb salmon on Tuesday. We are on vacation next week and hope the weather cooperates as we plan on fishing the Whalesback shoal.

Have a great day.

Fred

Bill and Harvey fish on the west side of the island - the bay side - due east of whalesback. I'm not saying they are there, or that they'll bite - but they are in the area.

Good luck Fred
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-18-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quoting

That's our favorite side of Whalesback because it is on the Wisconsin side and most of the people out there have Michigan only licenses. That means less boats to deal with. We buy both so we don't have to worry about the line. Maybe we'll go a little further east and closer to the Island. God and weather willing we will be out there tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the update.

In His Peace,
    Fred
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-18-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quoting

>Does he noodle those??

No. He just doesn't like to pull them up the bank and get them injured so he often holds them up for their picture in the water instead. He uses a deep sea pole or an ugly stick and a bait casting reel.
    Last edited by Michael Bush; 07-18-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Those fish are huge ! Are they always that big ?

Nancy
    Ovid, NY

>Those fish are huge ! Are they always that big ?

He doesn't take pictures of the little ones... but he has caught dozens of them that size. That was just a few of the pictures. His wall is papered with Master Angler awards.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

"He doesn't take pictures of the little ones... but he has caught dozens of them that size."
    i was going to suggest that he had taken 12 diffrent outfits for one fish till i got to the pics with 2 fish. the one glove in the first few pics had me thinking he was noodling them. catfish are one of the few things i miss about not living in tennessee anymore.

Default Chicken of the River

Catfish are fun to catch and good to eat. The part I like is...you start getting little bumps(they are checking it out)...open the bail...then they take the bait and swim away (line running out)...then they STOP...close the bail, take up slack real easy,...SET THAT HOOK!

Bill and Harvey caught a 25.83 lb salmon last week to take 4th place in a two county tournament. They won $950 and a few lures. Overall this year has been much slower than the past couple of summers.

Ain't nuttin better than some nice catfish or croppie or tuna or salom or halibut.... oh what the h#ll, they are all good

Hey Jesse with the rain I see you guys are getting on the Island this evening you could probably catch a couple of those salmon out the back door. Hope it's not hitting you too hard.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    I'd be honored to meet you and your family.

[snip]

Then you can go and eat some lawyers (burbot) at the family restaurant or a fishboil if you stay late on a Saturday.
    Hi Jesse -

It was great to finally meet you today, a year later. Almost didn't put two and two together when we stopped in at your family's restaurant. When I started telling my wife about this thread today, she asked the waitress if she knew about a beekeeper in the area and she said, "Jesse?"
    The Burbot was awesome! Haven't tasted fish that good in a long time.

I'll give you a personal tour or recommend places to visit if you wish.

Let me know when you can make it, I'll roll out the red carpet.
    Sorry I didn't let you know ahead of time we were coming up. Next time I'll be sure to let you know so I can poke around your hives.
    Regards, Barry