Default relocation problem

I moved my hive last night. I put a branch in front of the hive entrance to encourage them to reorient. Well, they must not read this forum as there's about 30 or so hovering where it used to be. Now the new place is about 50 feet or so from the old location. Will they eventually find the hive or are these girls goners?
    Michael

They should find it ok. Not all the bees will reorient when moving and puting branch in front of hive, but it does really help. The girls that went back to old location will start flying in encreasing circles until they find the new location.

They will find the new place.
    Curtis

Anytime you move a hive, there will always be some that go back to the old location, but they will find the hive again after a few hours.

When moving hives less than a couple of miles I will leave them confined for more than one complete sun cycle. Along with an obstacle that gets them to take a closer look at their new location. 50 feet however is no problem they will find the bread crumbs for the way home. If you move them a quarter mile that will be more problematic.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I moved my hive last night. I put a branch in front of the hive entrance to encourage them to reorient. Well, they must not read this forum as there's about 30 or so hovering where it used to be. Now the new place is about 50 feet or so from the old location. Will they eventually find the hive or are these girls goners?
    If you have a nuc box available, maybe place it where the hive used to be and then could you recombine them in the evening after they return from the field?

There are always a lot checking out the old place no matter what you do. But if you can set off reorientation by either the branch, shaking or drumming them or by confining them for 72 hours, then they will reorient and that orientation will give them a memory of where to go when the hive isn't at the old location. Without orientation, they don't even know where it was as they never took note of it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF