Default protective equipment

I have a veil I am having trouble with. I can't seem to securely tie it down so as to not have any gaps where bees could slip in. Any suggestions?

http://www.millerbeesupply.com/Page27.htm

The one I have is second down on the list. Thanks

I haven't seen one yet that you could tie and not have any gaps what so ever that a bee could not get into. But they usually keep all the girls out even though there are gaps.

If you want to be completely gap free, I would suggest a jacket pullover with an attached veil. They zip up and there is no way a bee can get in.

the tie down strings start in the back.Pull them under your arms and then through the loops in the front of the veil (mine are plastic) From there cross them in front down to your waist and through you belt loops, and around you waist as far as need to take up the slack then tie. Give a pull on the back to make sure it is down over your shirt, then the same on the front. For a "beesuit" I wear an old long sleeve dress shirt. The screen part o the veil pulls nicely over the collar and keeps the bees out. For pants, an old pair of painters pants is perfect. At first I put rubber bands over the cuffs and my shirt cuffs but don't bother any more. Occasionally a bee will crawl up, but not too often. I got to where I'll sometimes wear just a t-shirt if it's hot. Get more stings on the feet wearing sandals than anywhere else. The one thing I don't go without is the veil. I'm not too keen about getting stung in the face. Keep you clothes loose fitting, keeping in mind that you'll be squatting down and bending over at times. Good luck, berkie

I have one like that. I put the strings in the back, go through my belt loops on each side and back to the ring in the front. make sure he elastic in the bottom of the veil is in close to the collar of a shirt, and draw till snug. this gives some movement forward and back if you need it, and keeps the botton of the veil snug accross the top of the shoulders.
    welcome to your new addiction!!

They never really seal up good. I keep a veil like that in the truck in case I need it when I'm not near the barn. If you wear a collared shirt, try turning up the collar before you put the veil on. It helps sometimes although it is hotter. I have a friend who does that. Collar up and socks over his pant legs!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I use a jacket with zipped hood. To properly tie
    a hat/veil combo takes longer than tossing on
    the jacket. And the coverage is better.

I have two veils. The one I like the best is the one you have, but the only problem is I don't have belt loops so I just wrap it around once or twice and am good to go. Before I tie it down, though I always check the back to make sure I'm covered.
    The other has only a loop in the center at the front. This one is not as secure as the other, or as bee-resistant.

Like Sundance, I have a jacket with the zipped veil and it works the best of any I've had. I also have the regular veils with drawstrings that I sometimes use when I am just doing a simple chore or two. But if I am really going into the hives for a while, I wear my jacket with zipped veil. As Ravenseye said, if you are using a drawstring type veil, it is best to wear a collared shirt and some go even further to turn up their collar to give more protection at the back of the neck. Good luck.
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)