Default M.L. Queen Rearing Kit????

Has anyone used this kit or something similar?? Just looking to try and raise a couple queens for personal an a couple of close Beeks. I was planning on using the double mating Nucs that BEES4U is using also.
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDe...&idCategory=13

I have that same kit. I used it last year without much luck, but I'll try it again this year. I put the queen in checked it the next day and the queen was gone. no eggs no queen, no queen at all in the hive,, ouch..

This year I will put it in the hive for a couple of days first for them to clean and get any smells out. The rack I have to hold the cups, the mice loved it and chewed all the cell cup holders off, so be careful..

It might not hurt to put a little royal jelly in the bottom of the cups first..
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

I use both the jenter and the one sold by mann lake. both work and both have advantages and disadvantages. an adavantage of jenter is if you need more eggs after all the plugs are removed, you can graft from the "dummy" cells between the plugs. Mann lakes version doesn't require the comb to be drawn out, but I find their version of the plug to be hard to remove, I found an old ?clamp? that is used in fly tying to hold the material that works fine in removing them. also found that buying new plugs for both works better than trying to reuse them.
    You should prime it with honey, put it in the hive for a couple of days to warm up, then place the queen in the unit. Most queens will lay in it, some refuse, check b/4 releasing the queen, if she didn't lay enough eggs leave her in for a second day. Usually the hard part of queen rearing isn't getting the queen to lay, but figuring out how/what kind of starter you are going to use and the timing of getting the starter "started'
    mike

I also use the one sold by ML. I found that I needed to check the queen at end of day 1 and if no eggs leave her for another day. By the second day I always found eggs.

The problem that I did have was that the back panel would come loose and allow the queen to escape the kit. I finally decided to use small screws to hold the back panel to its small keeper posts.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

I use it to raise about 20-30 queens a year from it. It works well, and is easy to use. I always put it in the hive 1-2 days before, and leave the queen in the box no more than 2 days.

I've used it quite a bit over the past four years. I also have grafted directly into the cell cups. Works well, no problems, the key for me is to get enough young nurse bees to start the cells well.
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey