Thread: Will this Work?

Question Will this Work?

Hello. Will this method work for queen rearing?

You take you hive. Divide it in half. 5 frames has the queen 5 don't. Take the 5 without and take in in a new set up hive so far away. Take a new queen that you bought and put it in the queen less hive. Will it work? Will the bees except her? Thanks

yes it should work if you dont wait to long to requeen. They will know there queenless in no time and if there is eggs or young larva they will start making a new one. You dont even have to add a queen. You can do a walk away split and they will make there own but you will be setting them back

It will work for a split. It will not cause any queens to be reared. Do a standard candy cage queen introduction.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You don't need to haul it away, you could do it right at the original location.

dcross, if done at the original location most of the field force of the queenless split will return to the queen-right side of the hive the next time they fly. you will end up with a very weak nuc. Best to haul it away.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyhoney View Post
    dcross, if done at the original location most of the field force of the queenless split will return to the queen-right side of the hive the next time they fly. you will end up with a very weak nuc. Best to haul it away.

Or plan for the flying age workers leaving. No hauling necessary. I'm not lazy, I'm energy efficient

>if done at the original location most of the field force of the queenless split will return to the queen-right side of the hive the next time they fly. you will end up with a very weak nuc. Best to haul it away.

Until recently I never had the luxury of another location, let alone another location far enough to work for this and close enough that I didn't spend a half tank of gas to get there. I've always just accounted for it by shaking in more bees (try to get twice as many as you think you need in the hive that is at the new location) or facing the resulting splits to the old location.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#accountfordrift
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF