Default Possums - looking for something permanent

I've got a lovely, wooded area along a creek for a bee yard, but it comes with loads of possums. They get into my sheds and storage areas, knocking over stacks of hive bodies, scattering piles of inner covers, tearing up nucs with live bees and generally making a mess of things. I've trapped some in those wire "have-a-heart" type traps and relocated them, thinking I was doing them a favor. I've killed some and gave the carcass to a buddy who skins them (and gets about 50 cents a pelt). He said he appreciates my kindness but he feels it's hardly worth the 50 cents anymore.

My next thought is to figure out the open season and simply hunt them with a shotgun and flashlight -- everything legal. But that's more time and not very efficient.

I used carpet strips on the landing boards of the nucs but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone have a more permanent solution?

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Only permanent solution I know is killem all.

I keep a live trap set here most of the time for coons and possums and relocate them to the bottom of a drum of water then call my friend that raises hawks he picks them up of bird feed.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I'de get a dog or a kids soft shot BBgun, .22rifel or a good wristrocket slingshot!

you can also get a "hot wire" fence, they cost some but 1 good ZAAP will make them think twice on coming back!!!

GL

Electric fence is probably the best ongoing solution to keep them out. Once you kill one, more just move in. I have a major problem with the raccoons and armadillo's and to a lesser extent the possums. I trap them because I can't really put up a e-fence in my back yard.

Trapping is a losing battle but it is better than nothing.

I know a farmer who had terrible coon trouble. Mixed up Marlin fly bait and coca-cola for them to eat/drink. No more coon problem but he had another one after the wrong people found out what he was doing. That would work on bears, skunks, and oppossum too but a fence is probally cheaper than the fine and safer for all the nontarget species. Terriers and Fiests and Curs are good protectors too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    I know a farmer who had terrible coon trouble. Mixed up Marlin fly bait and coca-cola for them to eat/drink. No more coon problem but he had another one after the wrong people found out what he was doing. That would work on bears, skunks, and oppossum too but a fence is probally cheaper than the fine and safer for all the nontarget species. Terriers and Fiests and Curs are good protectors too.
    And it will kill dogs, cats and anything else that decides to take a taste. This is illegal and get you put in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    And it will kill dogs, cats and anything else that decides to take a taste. This is illegal and get you put in jail.
    [/QUOTE=Beeslave] A fence is probally cheaper than the fine and safer for all the nontarget species![/QUOTE]

I pointed that out and am not suggesting using it.

Some people aren't intelligent enough to figure out the outcome of doing that so I pointed it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    I pointed that out and am not suggesting using it.

Some people aren't intelligent enough to figure out the outcome of doing that so I pointed it out!
    LOL! Kinda like teaching my kids all the swear words never EVER to say!

And it will kill dogs, cats and anything else that decides to take a taste. This is illegal and get you put in jail
    S S S shoot shovel & shut up
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I use golden marlen for flies and japanese beetles mixed in milk, on my property. If someones dog or cat gets in it then it's their owners fault. Here in Mo. you have the right to protect your property,if a coon,possum,skunk or deer ect. is destroying your crops or property you can destroy it. I truck farm and if you don't put up a elec. fence or traps you will soon be out of buisness. I mix the marlen fly spray with milk because it will sour and somehow draw the beetles to it and kill them by the hundreds,and so far I haven't killed a bee.
    I have a tame blackberry patch on wire fence,( one acres) on the ends i have brace post and on the cross member is where i place the fly spray for the beetles and keeps it up and away from house pets. works great