Thread: package bees

Default package bees

newbee question, is the queen in a package already mated?

Yes, they are generally newly mated.

thanks, that means she will start laying shortly after install in new home.

The queen will be mated but you will have to introduce her properly to the package she came with. I'm guessing you know how to introduce the queen or have a mentor. Good Luck. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    The queen will be mated but you will have to introduce her properly to the package she came with. I'm guessing you know how to introduce the queen or have a mentor. Good Luck. Jack
    I was always told that because she just spent the last 3 days rideing in the same cage as the rest of the bees they have adjusted to her pheromones and accept her as there queen. ie introductions have already been made by the time you go to install the package.

not necessarily, if they have any reason to reject her, they will. be sure to give them a few more days to accept before she is freed with them. I haven't had any problems, but one of the others in our bee club got 3 packages last spring, and the bees killed one queen as soon as they got her out of the cage. he saw them dragging her out of the hive.
    welcome to your new addiction!!

A lot depends on how long the package has been "together". Don't count on acceptance but, in many cases, they queen HAS been accepted by the time you get around to hiving them. That's why many beeks direct release the queen...especially keepers that hive a bunch of packages. In some cases, the lack of acceptance reflects a problem with the queen that won't be resolved simply by giving her more time in the cage.

One more thing. From time to time, you'll get packages that have a queen somewhere in the mix. The shippers didn't know it and you'll get a package with a nice, caged, marked queen and an unseen, unmarked queen loose in the box. If you lose a new queen but your colony seems "happy", be looking for another one....or eggs....!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"