Default The bees are back in town

http://www.economist.com/science/Pri...ry_id=13226733

"The economic crisis has contributed to a glut of bees in California. That raises questions about whether a supposed global pollination crisis is real"
    Regards, Barry

Default What an idiot!

As far as I can tell from talking to everyone there was not an actual "glut of bees" but there was a perceived "glut" by nervous bee keepers. Panic mode set in price cutting occured and in the end 99% of the worhty bees were rented. Much of the cheap bees this year wouldnt make grade somewhere else and many cancelled contracts had deposits down or cancellation clauses. These deposits/cancellation damages subsidised lower price sets somewhere else with your 4 framers.

Pray for water and there will be a perceived shortage of bees next year although the number of colinies will be about the same.

Latest from Calf. Bees will be coming out early...towards the end of the month. 100% of the hives that made the grade were rented this year. (at least with the two brokers we deal with) Word we are getting is that hives that didn't make the cut were eventually rented for a nominal fee (I am not sure what that was) and it had something to do with those areas that didn't get water, in order to get crop failure insurance payments they had to go through everything to get a crop and that included bees for pollination.

So that's the word. They are not sure how the crop will turn out as rain was a factor this year and may have washed out some of the pollen.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

We are hearing it was business as usual for most beeks. It certainly was for us, although all the rumors sure made us worry more and predictably caused a panic for those without contracts. I heard on Bee-L there was a glut of 300-600K colonies but I find that hard to believe. We don't know of and the 3 brokers we talked to didn't report anyone with decent bees that didn't get in, (although we did hear there were some from this board who had bees sidelined). Some gave the growers a $10-20 discount and some bees, mostly lower grading colonies, were rented cheap late.
    We know of one case where shipped in bees didn't make grade and the broker turned them around then had another beek bring in additional strong colonies from TX to fill the contract. I suspect this type of shuffling of colonies was what some of the hubbub was about.

We have friends who are already getting their bees back to TX, one load today, 2 more tomorrow and next day. Our broker is supposed to call tomorrow with dates for ours, he is thinking released by end of the week.
    Soon it'll really get busy!!
    Soon the bees really will be back in town.
    Sheri