Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How long is sugar-water "good" for?

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  TodesSchatten 
#1 ·
I am wondering how long I should keep the sugar water in my spray bottle. Im getting my "swarm kit" ready and would like to have the spray bottle filled just in case. Will it go bad after a certain time?

Thanks much!

#3 ·
I mix my sugar water solution up at 1:1 mixture with some honey B healthy in it. I use it for both feed and spraying swarms.

The Honey B Healthy seems to greatly extend the shelf life of the sugar water. It is good for at least a month and probably longer with the Honey B Healthy in it.

#8 ·
I'm telling ya' Mint is the way to go. No Bleach, no cold liquid, No going an hour home ot gather gear. Just leave it in the back of the truck and it is fine. (I do try to keep it out of the sun though. A cooler is great, keeps it out of the sun and doesn't let it get too hot.)

Honey B Healthy is great, but as pointed out you could use any Mint Essential Oil with some Lecithin to help emulsify it.

#11 ·
General Purpose Essential Oil Mixture (Honey B Healthy)
A commercial, general purpose essential oil product for bees that is similar to the following recipe claims many benefits, but many of those claims have yet to be proven. The following recipe should work about as well as that product, but is cheaper. It can be added in small quantities to feed to encourage feeding, however it has been known to occasionally cause Robbing behavior due to its great appeal to bees.
• 5 cups water
• 2 1/2 pounds of sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)
• 15 drops spearmint oil
• 15 drops lemongrass oil
Bring the water to a boil and integrate the sugar until dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees. Cool before using

#10 ·
I am wondering how long I should keep the sugar water in my spray bottle.
When you see mold (usually black stuff) in it I'd recommend changing it. Make up more than you need. Put some in a jar with a lid and put that in the frig. That way its pretty easy and quick to change. I know folks who dissolve ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in their syrup. Then there are those who use bleach, those who use HBH and mints and all sorts of stuff. Experiment if you want....but I'm a firm believer that simpler is better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.