Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Perrybee,

I've thought/wondered if sounds I heard by the beehive were virgin queens piping, but really I'm not sure. So I can't say I've heard that definitively.

RE: Entrance observations and hive management- some feel washboarding indicates a dearth of nectar, others think it is related to swarming. I'm not sure what it is, but lean towards swarming activity. I don't manage swarming in my hives aggressively; I try to maintain a balance in management rather than extremes. If a few queens and swarms make it into the wild then that's good. But too many swarms leaving may weaken the hive.

I'm trying to manage my bees on sound decisions, not on my or other well-meaning folks guesswork at what is going on within through outside observations. These are just my thoughts on it. I've used methods described /suggested by others with sometimes poor results and found many times, even though given with the best of intentions, the advice was wrong.
    Last edited by gingerbee; 03-15-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add info, clarity
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Hi Gingerbee

I try to manage swarms but if one or two get away on me I'm not too concerned. I figure I'm left with a young queen and I've just made a contribution to nature.

If you are wondering what a queen piping sounds like you will find a couple of good examples on youtube ( punch in honeybees, queens, piping and you should be able to hear it ). After you've heard it once it's easy to recognize in the future.

Perry

Increasing the population of feral bees is important, especially if they are sustaining.

I've heard a video of queens piping. I'm just not sure at this point it's the same thing I heard by the hive.

I appreciate the exchange of ideas on this thread, thanks to all.
    Last edited by gingerbee; 03-14-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Along with other things I've never seen before, at the entrance to my hives my bees yesterday were on the front of the hive and on the entrance board, in the rain. It was raining pretty steadily too. They have water nearby, in a bird feeder. I thought that was pretty odd. Any opinions?
    Last edited by gingerbee; 03-16-2009 at 09:22 AM.

I have had this happen as well. Terrible weather and spitting rain and they will still sit out front. It must not bother them as I have seen this from time to time.