Default how long to start Q/cells

I made up a five frame nuc fri.(6)eve. used two frames of mostly sealed brood and bees,one fame of small lavar and eggs, one frame each of honey and pollen and shook off two more frames into hive making sure i did not move queen and gave them a feeder. I checked on sun about noon found no cells started. The weather has been quite warm and suspose to continue this week. I thought that i would have found queen cells. How long will it take to start q/cells did i fail? Did i do someting wrong?
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Made a split and in a week and a half had twelve Queen Cells. Which we used to make four Nucs. They should start emerging at 14 days, if some were two day old eggs.

Keeping our fingers crossed til then.

Here is Michaels Bee Math

Caste-----------Hatch-------------------------Cap---------------Emerge
    Queen----------3 days----------------------8 days +-1-------16 days +-1---------Laying 28 days +-5
    Worker---------3 days----------------------9 days +-1-------20 days +-1---------Foraging 42 days +-7
    Drone----------3 days---------------------10 days +-1-------24 days +-1---------Flying to DCA 38 days +-5

I would have expected some within 48 hours for sure. That would be now, or course. But if there were eggs they still could start one as late as four days from when you did the split. The other question, however is whether there is still a queen. First, you may not have seen the queen, second there could be more than one queen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

This brings up a question ....If there are no drones yet, will they start queen cells? I've got plenty of eggs but no drones flying yet.

Default queen cells

I have drones a flyin!

peletier writes:
    This brings up a question ....If there are no drones yet,

tecumseh:
    it requires almost two weeks for a drone to acquire maturity to breed. so why would you desire to rear cells if you knew that no drones would be usable until two weeks after the queen emerges?

to ted in Ms...
    QUEENLESS bees start cells almost immediately (within hours). you should be able to notice small changes in the face of a frame of young larvae within 24 hours. within 48 hours almost anyone should be able to notice the flaring of worker cups and the great quantity of royal jelley the bees are stuffing into these cells.

queenless bee includes not only properly mated queens but also virgin gueens.

Did you check the original hive to see if they started making cells just to be sure?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Made a split and in a week and a half had twelve Queen Cells. Which we used to make four Nucs. They should start emerging at 14 days, if some were two day old eggs.
    Now my question is: Are those emerging quees going to swarm or stay in the nucs?
    Do you leave more then one queen cell per nuc or more?
    Are emergency queesn good queens or bad queens?

Default Queen cells

Today i checked my nuc very close and found q/cells at the bottom of the frame at the end very similair to swarm cells. There was also a new one started on mid-frame. I was relieved. Thanks to all who responed.

>Are those emerging quees going to swarm or stay in the nucs?

Unlikely unless there are circumstances that would already have them planning to swarm.

>Do you leave more then one queen cell per nuc or more?

I go for at least one. I don't mind more if there are more on the frame.

>Are emergency queesn good queens or bad queens?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterq...gency%20Method

"It has often been observed that many of the queens reared by this method are not the best. It has been stated by a number of beekeepers who should know better (including myself) that the bees are in such a hurry to rear a queen that they choose larvae too old for best results. Later observation has shown the fallacy of this statement and has convinced me that bees do the very best that can be done under existing circumstances."--Jay Smith Better Queens

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmillerm...referoldlarvae

"As a matter of fact bees do not use such poor judgment as to select larvae too old when larvae sufficiently young are present, as I have proven by direct experiment and many observations."--C.C. Miller, Fifty Years Among the Bees

IMO if the hive has plenty of food and large workforce it will raise perfectly good emergency queens. If it does not, they will be poor.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you very much Michael.
    From a diferent forum in Europe I am being told that queens are born with a certain mindset and they will swarm.
    Same with the quality of the emergency queens but I will take it all in and make personal observations.
    I had 2 nucs that have left the box when the queen came out of the cell.