Default Looking for HBH recipie

I have read a recipe for HBH on a forum and can't seem to find it anywhere now, would anyone happen to have it somewhere?
    Sideline beekeeper /State Certified Inspector
    Bee Friends CO-OP

Look here at Recipes For The Bees

You could use the 'search' on Beesource for honey b healthy or Honey-B-Healthy. Using advanced search narrows it down better. At least 5 threads or more. Sorry,..I can't show you the exact recipe post. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...healthy+recipe Post # 9

This is a recipe that I've copied out from in these forums in the past. I've not used this recipe myself so can't comment on it...

5 cups water
    2 ½ pounds of sugar
    1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)
    15 drops spearmint oil
    15 drops lemongrass oil
    Bring the water to a boil and integrate the sugar until dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees. Cool before using
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thanks for the replies, knew it was in here somewhere and did search for 'HBH" but found nothing. Now know it is HbH so will remember that.
    Sideline beekeeper /State Certified Inspector
    Bee Friends CO-OP

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    This is a recipe that I've copied out from in these forums in the past. I've not used this recipe myself so can't comment on it...

5 cups water
    2 ½ pounds of sugar
    1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)
    15 drops spearmint oil
    15 drops lemongrass oil
    Bring the water to a boil and integrate the sugar until dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees. Cool before using
    Tx for posting Ray
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

I agree with the ingredient portion of the recipe but I have read two other suggestions about the mixing. I can't claim scientific expertise but these make sense to me and I don't see where using these modifications could hurt and they may very well help...

Do not add the oils until the syrup cools some so that you are not evaporating off the "essence" that is carried in the oil.

Depending on the lecithin you use, you may find it difficult to get all of it to dissolve, even in hot syrup. Consider adding the lecithin to a small amount of syrup (a cup at the most) and use an electric beater or blender to thoroughly dissolve it and then add that back to the rest of the syrup.

I agree with Carl and it will make a difference. Any time you add an essential oil to hot liquid, some of it will disapate.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Is the mix rate using this recipe the same as it is for HbH?

HbH suggests 5cc (1tsp) per quart of 1:1 sugar syrup for feeding with a max of 10cc per quart and 20cc per quart of 1:1 for spray usage.
    This recipe actually looks healthier than the HbH recipe which appears to also have Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in it, guess it will keep the equipment clean - SLS is used in concentrated form for cleaning engine blocks and garage floors, less concentrated for toothpastes etc.

I used these basic proportions to boost the recipe to the following.

1 lb each oil, 10 gallons water, 80 lb sugar, 4t lecithin. Makes approx. 15 gallons

I mixed it up in a drum using my barrel heater and I mixed the lecithin and dissolved it in hot water on the kitchen stove before adding it to the sugar mix. I then added the oils to the hot sugar solution.

While not quite as thick as HBH the bees love it and it seems to mix with feeding syrup easily. Have used it as both drench and feeding additive.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Is the mix rate using this recipe the same as it is for HbH?

HbH suggests 5cc (1tsp) per quart of 1:1 sugar syrup for feeding with a max of 10cc per quart and 20cc per quart of 1:1 for spray usage.
    This recipe actually looks healthier than the HbH recipe which appears to also have Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in it, guess it will keep the equipment clean - SLS is used in concentrated form for cleaning engine blocks and garage floors, less concentrated for toothpastes etc.
    I mix up a gallon at a time and store in quart soda bottles in the refrigerator. I am using some now that I made up last summer. I used to measure it into the feed syrup very carefully. Now, I just open the bottle and pour in a healthy dose. As JB pointed out, it is not as thick as the retail version, but it lasts just as long and the bees love it.

I like Carl's idea of mixing the lecithin in a blender, because I have had a problem getting it to dissolve. Will have to try that next time. That's what I love about this forum - I'm always learning something.

Also, I only add the essential oils at the very end, per Carl and The Chef.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

Yes the dilution in syrup for feeding or drench is the same.