Thread: Queen mating

Default Queen mating

I have a small number of hives. All are Italians except for one Russian/Carniolan (R/C) cross. I would like to do a split of the R/C and have it raise its own queen. Here are some questions:
    1. When the virgin queen goes on its mating flight, is it mostly drones from her source hive that accompany her and mate with her, or is likely that other outside drones will join in the orgy as well? Is isolation of the hive a solution?
    2. If she mates with both R/C drones and Italians, can you detect a mixture in offspring color in the young?
    3. Are R/C crosses a first generation hybrid (F1), or have they been bred out for several generations.
    Thanks for the help.

Queens will fly up to 4 miles to mate, and will mate with any drone that can catch her.

You can detect color variations in the offspring, and will show up in the drone offsprings, especially in second generation drones.

I can't answer your third question myself.

mr smith (ever watch matrix?):
    3. Are R/C crosses a first generation hybrid (F1), or have they been bred out for several generations.
    Thanks for the help.

tecumseh:
    from what little I know neither breeds you identifed would produce a hybrid since the two are not really a 'race' of bees. this would be somewhat like breeding a mutt with a mutt and expecting some display of hybrid character rather than just another mutt.

the latter (carnoilians) is a resurrected bee breed that was slected based on characters that 'somewhat' looked like the old world carnoilans (a pretty mutt). the russians of course were just bees that early on were exposed to varroa. survivors of bees that were themselves crosses of one sort or another (tough little mutts).