Thread: Is this AFB?

Exclamation Is this AFB?

I just had a fairly weak hive die and I am trying to find out why. There are a lot of dead bees on the bottom board, and a week ago there was a queen and some brood.

Now there were some bees dead with their heads in the comb, on the bottom brood nest. Almost no brood and the capped brood do not look quite right. I tried the rope test on a couple of the capped brood but they did not pull out ropey, the dead larva came out whole. There are some capped brood with holes in the tops of the caps though.

I have some pictures of a frame with some of the suspect capped brood, and would like to know if anyone thinks this may be AFB.

http://www.thebeaversfamilyfarm.com/...ames%20001.jpg
    http://www.thebeaversfamilyfarm.com/...ames%20004.jpg
    http://www.thebeaversfamilyfarm.com/...ames%20005.jpg
    http://www.thebeaversfamilyfarm.com/...ames%20006.jpg
    Last edited by Ravenseye; 03-06-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Inline images too large; too many inline images

Hard to tell from the pics. What have your temps been. If it got cold and there were few bees and you had brood, then it could be that the bees didn't cluster trying to protect the brood and that will kill them. Just a possibility.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Its been in the 70's and 80's for the last couple weeks.

Yeah the pics are not the best, but my camera won't focus if I get too close.

Its the night temps that will get you. Hmmm....now I am curious...
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

If AFB were the problem, you would see perforated cappings, and scale. The combs are at the wrong angle to see AFB scales. But, it doesn't appear there are any. The sealed brood in the first pic looks healthy...I mean, it doesn't look unhealthy.

I see one cell in the second photo. It's in the middle of the bottom third of the comb. A mature pupa, chewed open by the bees. AFB pupae never reach that stage.

Notice all the stored pollen. First photo is more pollen cells than possible brood cells. Ever see that before?

Looks like the remaining little cluster tried hanging on as ling as possible. See the uncapped honey cells at the bottom left of the second photo.

From what I see, this colony probably died from varroa.

I would think Varroa or a bad case of trachael mites that caused the bees and queen to abscond.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I did see varroa on them last week when I checked them, but it was already too hot to use the Mite away I bought, supposedly it shouldn't be used if the temp is over 70 daytime. I also saw some deformed wings on some of them, which I think is caused by varroa. But I did not know that varroa would cause this.

Mites will cause the deformed wing...hard to tell what your problem might be. I think, I'd try to move some frames of brood over to this hive from another and introduce a new queen. Then watch them closely and treat for mites if necessary. Or...you may just want to install a package of bees in this equipment. From what I can see I don't think you have AFB Good luck.
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

I would agree with Fred Bee. No AFB. Time to install new ones!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I will install a new batch, this time I will definitely keep an eye on the Varroa population.