Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

An addict is created

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TodesSchatten 
#1 ·
I got new woodenware today :) I spent the inventorying, and assembling. OMG the smell of pine and beeswax what a wonderful smell(I('m addicted now) :D as I was finishing a lone honey bee buzzed up to me made a couple of passes then checked out the hives I went in side to get the lemongrass oil and of course she was gone by time I got back. later my kid came home and she was bouncing off the walls trying on her veil, & wanting to see my in my beekeeper costume.

my girl and hives:cool:

See less See more
#7 ·
Looks like you've done a great job. Yes, you may experience addictive bee behavior modification over the coming weeks! :)

Hope your daughter gets to enjoy them as much as she seems to be happy in the picture. God bless...

#9 ·
yes they are really nice looking hives - English Garden Hives from Brushy Mtn. I'm going to put Spar urethane on them to help them last as long as possible and really keep them looking as gorgeous

my plan was to let the bees have the bottom 3 for brood and their honey and top 2 would be for my family... would you suggest different?

I'm getting nucs from Jesterbees 2 Russians 1 Minnesota... and I think the bees I have been seeing this year and last are feral I'd LOVE to lure them or find them and get permission to remove them

#10 ·
my plan was to let the bees have the bottom 3 for brood and their honey and top 2 would be for my family... would you suggest different?
I know nothing about the flow and wintering in WV,
But my guess would be that 2 mediums would be
plenty with Russians and Minn Hyg. They are very
frugal on stores.

Plus, I would think in our area feeding can be done
pretty late and started pretty early.

But 3 mediums for brood is great too. Certainly on
the safe side.

Keep an eye open for swarming on those rascals.

#13 ·
It looks like he has feeders on under there hobie.
Its great to get kids involved, my son is 6 and is beside himself over getting bees, he got a suit for Christmas.
I bought the same exact ones, I was assuming that they may need 3 supers for brood during the spring and summer, and possibly even winter as they only equal 2 deeps.
I know at our bee club the other night the discussion was about using all mediums and it was recommended to overwinter in 3 as well as the spring and summer seasons.
I ordered 7 supers per hive to be on the safe side.
They are beautiful, I love them but they don't look good once they weather if you don't do them right. I love the cedar look but I have seen some that turn that gray color that cedar does with age and when the copper cover turns that greenish blue it doesn't look so good with washed out wood.
Its too bad that nice new cedar doesn't stay that way forever.
I have also seen that some of the varnishes that people use turn black in some spots and starts to fail after a couple of years.
Unless you plan on coating the copper to keep it from weathering( and I am not even sure that is foolproof) pick a color you like for the hive that will go well with the aged copper look.
Shiny copper looks nice but so does the verdigris. But verdigris only looks good with certain colors, just trying to help you plan ahead.
Enjoy your bees!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.