Default It must almost be spring . . .

I have a beesting on my forehead!

Got one on my lip this morning. Those girls started chasing me this afternoon while I was putting out weed & feed with my broadcaster. They are flying like crazy. It's amazing how fast they are zooming back into the hives from all over the place.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post
    Got one on my lip this morning. Those girls started chasing me this afternoon while I was putting out weed & feed with my broadcaster. They are flying like crazy. It's amazing how fast they are zooming back into the hives from all over the place.
    Is that normal? It seems to me that's kind of aggressive. Wow. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting into here.

Arrow

In my case, I did some major stuff to a strong hive and then stood around with no veil about 20 feet from the hive talking to the property ower. This one bee was dive bombing me and I still did not put on the veil. Instead, I said, "that bees gonna sting me" and kept yapping. Then it did. Stupid is as stupid does. My bees don't sting if you leave them alone.

My bees have been quite agressive for the last month or so. Guess it's the weathe and me bothering them some. Especially on a very warm day last week when I took all of the hives down to the bottom brood box. Most bees were in the hive then. My smoker was bellowing hot smoke so I was having to spray them with SW+HBH to help calm them. The adding one of the high boxes back that was full of honey and possible brood didn't make them happy either.

Got stung today because of my stupidity. At least early this AM when I caught it on the lip. I had put out a entrance feeder on this particular hive yesterday after removing the metal entranace reducter. WhenI put the feeder on the front entrance I didnt flushit up against the side of the BB. So this left a crack about 1" between the edge of the BB and the feeder. THis AM I went out and moved the feeder over until it was flush with th edge of the BB to stop the attempts at robbing. Didn't have on any protection and all would have been fine but I decided to linger around to see the dead on the board. One looked like it might have been a SHB. I picket them all up so that I could check out what looked like a SHB. Well, that took to much time. So one of my sweeties came out and popped me in the lip.

But I did see that the dead beetle was a SHB. Is that a good sign? Doesn't that mean that no SHBs are currently in the hive (alive) or that the bees have run the out or killed them.

Please advise on the SHB observation I found today.

BTW, Tue moring the temp was around 35 and I still have close to 5" of snow on the ground. There were a few bees taking flight. Is that normal at such a cold tem. Yesterday I saw a few of them take off the BB and dive head first into the snow only to come up and crawl around and then fly. Saw others landing on the snow and checking it out. Is this normal?
    De Colores,
    Ken