Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Free Beekeeping Software

31K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  Jorn Johanesson 
#1 · (Edited)
Free (Beekeeping Software and Swarm removal Software)

Dear Beekeeper fellows!

Maybe a little handy Swarmremoval data collecting software :

First take a peek at this: http://apimo.dk/pictures/Swarmremoval.JPG

The purpose is to store data about swarms that you collect, from when you get the call to when you put the swarm into a hive. This might not be something you can use, but can show you a part of what I can do. This was created because I got a request for this.

Then visit this message : http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=415694#post415694

Please see my last posting too:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=411994#post411994

On my web I have put up a little software (runs on the following systems: win95, win98, win 2000, winXP, windows Vista 32Bit).
This software can print out a hive note card. You can edit the labels to your needs and there are Columns that you can use and change the labels to. It can be used as an individual hive card or as a general hive note for the apiary.

It also shows what my apiary software handles, and you can edit my software to follow your edited hive note card from within the tools menu.

The card also shows the possibilities in my hive note software, and the hive note card is in my concept used to transfer data from the apiary to my home where I can enter the data into my apiary software.

If you do not want to use my apiary software you can use the hive note card as a template for a excel spreadsheet.

Link to Software......... http://apimo.dk/programs/hivenote.zip

My software has been on the net for a lot of years, and I have been developing it since the days of win31.

I have set my full software free for the reason that I have lost an important part of my compiler (gone to the bit heaven) I though have a backup on a CD but this backup is for windows 98. I will recover this but it means that I can't maintain it until that, but anyway it is very close to hunt sparrows with a canon. Be aware of that there is a learning curve to face. You do not need to use everything in the software, but it’s in there if you later need those facilities.

If you use the following registration it will open the software to 10000 hives (ten thousand) and it will newer expire:

I managed to get my compiler to work!

Here is a register software to my big sofware. You just enter your name and clik ok:) It will also change your previous registering.
http://apimo.dk/programs/Register.exe les than 500KB

the full software : [URL]http://apimo.dk/programs/beekeeping_hivenote.exe [/URL]with 13 different languages to select from.

If you write me a personal message I will grant you a personal full registration, and you are off course also welcome to e-mail me if you have questions to functions in the software.

Best to all of you and happy beekeeping, spring will suddenly be there and jump on you :)

Jorn Johanesson Denmark

See less See more
#2 ·
Jorn, if I recall correctly, you gave this software as a Christmas present to everyone here at beesource a couple of years ago. You were still developing it at the time I believe? So maybe this is a little newer version?

I would like to extend a warm Thank You for passing this on to the members here at beesource! I'm sure many will appreciate and make good use of your software!

Steve

#3 ·
Jorn, if I recall correctly, you gave this software as a Christmas present to everyone here at beesource a couple of years ago. You were still developing it at the time I believe? So maybe this is a little newer version?
Steve
Yes I developed it a little further, but then my computer crashed and important files disapered before I had made a backup. I though have the source on a CD backup from windows 98, so I have to find a computer to restore it back to. But anyway, I will see if I can make a registration utility where peope just can enter their name and then press a OK button.

best regards

Jorn Johanesson

#7 ·
I need responds!

Dear beekeeping fellows!

I want to develop this software further, so I need inputs about what to add or remove to/from my software. I am not after your money at all, but I will find it nice if you could comment on it or place suggestions to it. The software have been around since windows 3.1 and it may have been grown to big, so inputs from you will be very welcome.

Thank You!

Best regards Jorn Johanesson

#9 · (Edited)
In the directory you installed my software to, you should find the manual in english and some more languages. its located in the Bidata homedir manuals. Which OS are you using??

On My windows computer it is placed in this directory : C:\Programmer\Apimo Biavl\Bidata Win95-98\Manuals

English manuals can also be downloaded from my web! http://apimo.dk/programs/engmanus.zip about 700KB

#12 ·
The default for wine inside of your home directory is a .wine/drive_c/

.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Apimo\ Biavl/Bidata\ Win95-98/Manuals/BIMANUAL\

The back-slashes are spaces in the directory names.

The software works fine using Wine in Debian Etch (Gnu/Linux).

#11 · (Edited)
If you are dialling up user and got interested, then please PM me and I am sure of, that we can work something out.
I have now got my backup back and plan to edit my software. For this I need your help. Please comment on it. I already found needed to look into this:
I only populate three fields, and though I give the possibility to expand that under installation, it can easily be missed. In the upper left corner of the two grids on the fields line there is a little pointing down mark. If you click this, a popup menu will show with items you can make change to. You can also change the showing of fields in grid by right mouse click in the grid. This also gives quick access to other functions related to grid.

But please read the manual!!

Thank you!

Best regards Jorn Johanesson, Denmark

#19 ·
Yes the hivenotecard software runs on windows Vista 32bit. I tested it on windows 7 which are the new Vista, but my full software would not run. When I get my software back in full I will redirect the calls to windows registry to a specific non-windows controlled file. But I will not develop for windows Vista 64bit, I do not have the money needed for buying 64bit computer, new compiler with all the support programs I have to buy too.

Best regards Jorn Johanesson

#25 · (Edited)
Failure to register

Sorry to hear that you are unable to register the software. I am working on a register software that will do it automatically by using your name, But my registration tool is nasty even if I try to Break it ;} But I am working on it!
The registration name and number are case intensive so please be sure you use Capital and small letters!

Free Software

hope you can get it working! Try copying and pasting

#27 ·
Jorn,

I had to reinstall XP Pro on my machine recently. Prior to that I had your software loaded but it had a hive limitation unless it was registered. Seems like I reloaded the software again based on info you sent out.

Anyway, I reloaded the software just a little while ago and then ran your registraton link above. To my surprise my data was there from the install prior to my reinstalling XP. But for some reason I cannot add a new beeyard or update a beeyard. I have no option to add a beeyard. If I try to open files I get data errors.

Also, I have a couple of Nucs I created this year. Guess they have to be entered as hives since I don't see anything for Nucs.

#28 ·
Jorn,

To my surprise my data was there from the install prior to my reinstalling XP. But for some reason I cannot add a new beeyard or update a beeyard. I have no option to add a beeyard.
Your hive note data is located typically in c:\Bidata. To get totally rid of you data, just delete this directory. To add a new bee yard generate a new hive (Alternative move a hive to a new location)

Also, I have a couple of Nucs I created this year. Guess they have to be entered as hives since I don't see anything for Nucs.
This I have added to a new to do task. Also let a bee yard staying when all hives from a location is moved, is added to a new to do task.

Please e-mail me if you have further questions. I will not spam peopel but answer questions to me.

Best regards from Denmark and a sunny day.

#29 ·
Nobody

I have done the best I could in creating this beekeeping software, that have been on the road since the days of windows 3.1

I am not able to cover everything in my software that you can think of, but have done the best I could to filter out the most creative thoughts. It is my aim to get it to fit as much as needed. One thing I can and is doing is to let you change everything in the software by allowing you to edit the language file. I have also added a queen timetable and a beekeeping accounting part. To help me to get it better I need your comments. e-mail or PM.

Thank you for your help

#30 ·
Compiler up and running again

I managed to restore everything around my compiler and source so I am again fit for fight, means that I can edit my Beekeeping Program and get it to work with all the languages I have included. It is now up to you to tell me what you are missing, what is difficult to understand and so on. My ears are wide open and I hear what you say. My software is for the benefit of Beekeeping, and I have the time. Please remember my software can be used as simple hive note software and as queen breeder software. I have been active beekeeper for a lot of years, and have also been breeding queens, so I know a bit about it. Please bee so kind and help me, not for my sake but for yours. For those who help I will offer a free CD means no cost for you. (CD and mail for free all over the world)

#31 · (Edited)
Swarm Removal software

nearly 100% recovered from a mild stroke I have created a little software that can be used to collect some basic data around swarmremoval ,)

I have finished the Swarm Removal software. You can enter the time used for the swarm removal and the total time used will be accumulated, means the time from different swarm pickups will be added together
You will have to possibilities:
1. Where you already have my hive note software installed:
http://apimo.dk/programs/SwarmRemovaldata.exe 3,90 MB
2. Where you only want the Swarm Removal software
http://apimo.dk/programs/SwarmRemovaldataWithBDE.exe 7.83MB
if you want more to the software then please send me a mail.

#34 ·
nearly 100% recovered from a mild stroke I have created a little software that can be used to collect some basic data around swarmremoval ,)

I have finished the SwarmRemoval software. You can enter the time used for the swarm removal and the total time used will be accumulated, means the time from different swarm pickups will be added together
You will have to possibilities:
1. Where you already have my hive note software installed:
http://apimo.dk/programs/SwarmRemovaldata.exe 3,90 MB
2. Where you only want the SwarmRemoval software
http://apimo.dk/programs/SwarmRemovaldataWithBDE.exe 7.83MB
If you want more to the software then please send me a mail.
Hi Jorn

I cant install your software. Computer wont allow it.

#37 ·
Spanish manual translation

This is my first post, so hello to everyone from Spain.
I finished translating the full english manual to spanish today. I know there is an argentinian translation but I didn't notice, it came from an earlier version and also there are some language differences. It is not a final translation but almost It should be ready in a few days. I wanted to do the same with the program but I fail to open the language manager. I downloaded the full version and re-installed twice but it fails to open the language manager. I have attached the .doc file in an email I sent to Mr Johanesson.

#38 ·
This is my first post, so hello to everyone from Spain.
I finished translating the full english manual to spanish today. I know there is an argentinian translation but I didn't notice, it came from an earlier version and also there are some language differences.
Thank you so much for this. The language manager you will find in your program directory\Apimo Biavl\Bidata Win95-98\Lang Resuorce\langmngr.exe this software gives you the ability to translate the software to the very deep of your computer. I am very willing to help you so please e-mail me with your questions. That also goes for the rest of your folks.

I have attached the .doc file in an email I sent to Mr Johanesson.
Thank you so much for this. I will include your translations in the archive on the net, for the benefit of other Spanish spoken beekeepers.

Best regards Jorn

#40 ·
The registration tool

For windows Vista users:

Bidata also runs on Vista 64bit and new Windows7

Download the registration tool and right click for properties. Now mark it for run as administrator. Also do the same for Bidata shortcut.

I have now received a full translation into Spanish. It is not yet included in the package but I will send it to you on demand only 72kb in size. Thank a 1000 time to BitterBierce

Best Regards Jorn Johanesson

#41 ·
Windows 7 update.

I updated my testversion of windows 7 to a 64bit new version, and my software runs on this! So I am pleased to tell you that my software runs on all versions of windows. On windows 7 I though have to run it as administrator, so also goes for the registration tool. My windows 7 is english.

#42 ·
Re: Windows 7 update.

I updated my testversion of windows 7 to a 64bit new version, and my software runs on this! So I am pleased to tell you that my software runs on all versions of windows. On windows 7 I though have to run it as administrator, so also goes for the registration tool. My windows 7 is english.
Update regarding windows 7.

If you are able to run windows xp mode on your windows 7 computer there is no compatibility problems with my software. You can still run it in plain windows 7 as administrator. Please have fun. I hope you have had a fine beekeeping season.

#43 ·
dear Jorn

a few days ago I downloaded your free software but I have some questions on using it not covered by the manual.

1)The feed I use is 2.5 kg and some times the brood covers 2.5 or x.? frames.How do I input these numbers?.
2)I don't know how to manage supers,boxes etc.How do I add or remove boxes,supers etc?

I would appreciate some help on the above issues

Thanks

Cons

#44 ·
dear Jorn

a few days ago I downloaded your free software but I have some questions on using it not covered by the manual.

1)The feed I use is 2.5 kg and some times the brood covers 2.5 or x.? frames.How do I input these numbers?.
Sorry my sofwae only allows whole numbers in feed entry. I suggest that you use 3 kg the first time and then 2 kg next time (if you springfedd a second time)

2)I don't know how to manage supers,boxes etc.How do I add or remove boxes,supers etc?
When you have the note up you will have access to a super tab. If this tab is not visible you have to use the menu item select tabs and then check the super’s item.

Now use the "add boxes to pile" button and enter the number of boxes (supers) you have. Press OK.

Now you see a drop box. Click the box number you will use so that box number appears in the drop box. Now left click the drop box and pull it to the left side of form. Then release it in one of the box numbers field.
You can now right click the colour box that shows up and will now be able to customize its use.

I hope this helps a bit.

Have a nice beekeeping season

#46 · (Edited)
just a quick review.

I installed into a linux computer, the app runs great in wine.

this is very good app for the 'typical' beek using Langstroth type equipment and methodology.

myself using mostly tbh coming in to this spring and forward, and not being so focused on honey production, I don't see myself getting a lot of use from it overall, although in general it could be usable anyway.

EDIT: After playing around with this app some more, I realize just how flexible it is. definitely able to be used for more than just langs and honey production and I apologize to Jorg for having missed the editing aspects of the app. As a matter of fact, iwill be givin gthis an extended test along with my paper documentation as well.

I will play with it a bit more as there is some customizing that can be done.

the use of metric measurement doesn't bode well for my usage either.

The ability to understand the scale of determining the various observations such as bee steadiness, sickness, etc.. isn't apparent in the app itself, you MUST keep the manual at your side till you gt familiar with the app.

Grading

Ability to run on OS other than Windows ( using Wine) - B

Use for general bee yard and general inspections -B

Use for Langstroth style hive - A

Queen tracking- A

Use with other style hives- B

Use for purpose other than honey production - C

Overall - B+

Very Good work overall, thanks for making it available to folks.

Big Bear

#47 ·
Jorn, have you considered releasing your software as Open Source?

If you are giving it free now, by making it open source perhaps other programmers could pick up from where you are now and keep improving on it with you.

Just a suggestion.

Big Bear

#48 ·
Jorn, have you considered releasing your software as Open Source?

If you are giving it free now, by making it open source perhaps other programmers could pick up from where you are now and keep improving on it with you.

Just a suggestion.

Big Bear
There are some problems connected to this.

main: it is donated to the Danish Beekeeper Society so when I die the source belongs to them together with the computer it is hosted at.

It is also developed in Borland Delphi and it is depended of some Russian code where the translation utility is the most important part. Some code is very old, but is still working well.
So the best I think I can do is to mantain it myself (for fun). Beekeepers is of course welcome to put up suggestions, but those should be of general interest within queenbreeding and honey produktion.

all the best

Jorn Johanesson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.