Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brood frame components

I ordered some frames from W.T. Kelly for my brood hives. The wood came unpolished fuzzy. I will have to sand it. And I am not looking forward to it. I do not know should I call them and complain. Last time I ordered I received nice, polished, wood. Also, I had other small problems with this order. What would you do? Thanks.

Call, chances are they will replace them. I called millers bee supply three times last year and they ALWAYS took care of me. Had a pair of gloves that the E-Band broke and that was after using it 4 months, she replaced them.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

I don't think that fuzzyness of the frames will be a problem. Sometimes just the way the wood is ripped by the saw causes this but it won't harm the durability of the frames. as for the other problems with the order, that would depend on what that problem is.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I agree, I'd use the frames unsanded.

I would just give them a call and xplain what you're concerns are to them and see how they want to handle it. They have a good reputation and I speculate they will satisfy your issues.

I'd say the frames are OK. Certainly, if they bother you the vendor should consider replacing them but the smoothness of the wood is hardly a major concern.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

eaglerock writes:
    Had a pair of gloves that the E-Band broke and that was after using it 4 months, she replaced them.

tecumseh:
    nest time send those old rejected worthless gloves to me. for my own gloves I commonly break the elastic... they go on easier and they don't seem to be quite so hot. also they are much easier to pull off if you need catch a queen.

just goes to show ya'... what will not do for one works for another just fine.

There's no reason to sand those frames. The bees will probably think it's good traction.

The bees will put more propolis on them and according to Marla Spivak's research that would be a good thing.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    eaglerock writes:
    Had a pair of gloves that the E-Band broke and that was after using it 4 months, she replaced them.

tecumseh:
    nest time send those old rejected worthless gloves to me. for my own gloves I commonly break the elastic... they go on easier and they don't seem to be quite so hot. also they are much easier to pull off if you need catch a queen.

just goes to show ya'... what will not do for one works for another just fine.
    Well I do use them still, and the funny thing is I called to order something else, and her and I were talking and I told her what happened that day and said I was going to check and see if Jo Ann Fabrics had elastic that would fit. And with my order she sent me new ones. They just treat me nice there at Millers. like family

if one has a problem with an order from a vendor (whether or not it is a serious problem), it seems to me to be more productive to contact them FIRST, and then if it isn't resolved to your satisfaction, post it on a public forum.

any business relationship is two ways...if your check bounced (or was written for the wrong amount, or you forgot to sign it), would it be appropriate for the vendor to post on a list that this happened, or for them to pick up the phone and let you reslove the issue promptly, honestly, and to everyone's satisfaction?

deknow

Thank you all for your input. I will use frames as they are.

@deknow
    I didn't bash anybody. I like W.T.Kelly Co. and always buy from them (unless they do not carry an item). I highly recommend them. Good customer support, generally great quality, excellent products. All other concerns were promptly taken care of. I needed a feel from beeks here about not so smooth frames. I didn't want to call them and sound like a whiner.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The bees will put more propolis on them and according to Marla Spivak's research that would be a good thing.
    That is some interesting research indeed. And it makes
    sense. Likely in the future we'll require rough frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    That is some interesting research indeed. And it makes
    sense. Likely in the future we'll require rough frames?
    Why do you and Michael think this is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    Why do you and Michael think this is a good thing?
    What is a good thing???

Rough frames??

Propolis research?

Well certainly if propolis in the hive has a curative effect
    on virus and bacterial problems then it would be a benefit
    to increase/leave intact propolis in the hive.

And if rough frames increase propolis generation within
    the colony, they become a "good thing".

And if rough frames increase propolis generation within
    the colony, they become a "good thing".
    So if this is true, then would it not be best, to use rough cut lumber for hives? Or at least the insides.

>Why do you and Michael think this is a good thing?

Marla has been doing research where she sprays the inside of the hive with propolis and takes a group treating in such a manner and a group without and inoculates them with things like AFB and measures infection rates. The ones with propolis on the inside have less disease. She pointed out in her presentation that the inside of a tree is rough and gets a thick coating of propolis while the smooth inside of a hive does not, but rough sawn lumber does.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    So if this is true, then would it not be best, to use rough cut lumber for hives? Or at least the insides.

Yes..........

[QUOTE=Michael Bush;401578
    Marla has been doing research where she sprays the inside of the hive with propolis and takes a group treating in such a manner and a group without and inoculates them with things like AFB and measures infection rates. [/QUOTE]

So, is there a website about this research? Marla who? This is something of great value, that you have started and with a little help from Sundance. I think if this finding is correct that I might start building hives with a rough inside and for looks a smooth outer side.

Yes..........
    Hey! Watch those one word posts...LOL