Default On‐the‐spot queen rearing

has anyone tried this. I was thinking about trying this in the spring.
    http://www.mdasplitter.com/docs/Freq...0Questions.pdf
    Last edited by tbb39; 03-07-2009 at 01:35 PM.

thank you, interesting read with some very interesting information.
    for me grafting with plastic cell cups, a head lamp and magnifying visor is so straight forward and convieniant that i will be concentrating on grafting again this year.
    all that is gold does not glitter

Default conventional wisdom

I read his disclaimers and do not really get it, he seems protectionistic. The breaking of the bottom cell is conventional wisdom in my part of the world. It is also common knowledge that newly built combs will be reworked by the bees in a walk-away split. This I can back up with personal experience, especially in the top bar hives I run for fun.

However, killing unwaned larvae using flour was new to me. I think, sugar would work as well. Thanks for the link.

No, I have not tried it. What I plan to do is use the miller method for queen rearing. I will take a small nuc off of my parent colony to remove the queen. Then I will place a frame horizontally over the top of the hive. This frame will have young larvae. Most of the cells on the underside will be destroyed, allowing for a smaller number of possible queen cells, say about 20. Once capped, these queen cells will be removed and added to prepared nucs which will be queenless for 2 days or so. The bees should then accept the virgin queen, she will mate, and off we go!

justgojumpit